Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into getting my first bike soon. I'm 6'5" 200 or so lbs. I don't have my license yet so test driving isn't going to help yet. I have been looking into all options as far as manufacturers. Sportsters seem small. And expensive considering its my first. Looked into stars as well. Big bikes are...big. I don't want to be in over my head or out of cash. I know I will most likely have yo mod whatever I get with some forwards, bar risers or diffent bars and potentially a seat. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
I got an inch and 80lbs on you, and one of my bikes is a Sportster. I look funny on it, but I fit fine. But I also have a dual sport bikes. This is what you are looking for. They are generally taller than the average bike, and cheaper than the average bike. You can get anything from a 250 up to a 650 for not much change, new or used. Go to your nearest Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki/Suzuki dealers and sit on a few. you'll like the fit and the price.

And truth be told, they are the most fun to ride. Nothing better than driving down the highway, turning down a back road, then turning onto a dirt trail into the woods. They can do it all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the input. No offended at all, but I'm not looking for any dual sports at all. If I can stretch out a little i'd be happy. Also I like the vstar but its got the floor boards.. and I can't imagine being stuck like that. My legs, as your familiar with, are LONG. Sportsters are just pricey. I'm not the "its gotta be a Harley" guy at all. But they're sharp little bikes.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
An old Magna or Sabre will fit a big guy and go fast. Really fast.

Or do you want a new bike? Kawasaki Concours, heart of a big Ninja, but a bit of refinement. Super fast.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I am going to suggest that you don't listen to any of us as far as brand and model. I really like my Victory and the foot controls are made to be moved around to fit. So what? You need to go to your local multi-brand dealer and sit on any of the new or used bikes that appeal to you. That is the only way I know of to actually find a good fit. As a beginner I would suggest used and nothing over about 500cc. You don't want the bike to get away from you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts