Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm a new rider to the motorcycle world. I'm licensed (took the MSF class), and have also trained and am comfortable on a '80s Honda 550cc.

My approximate size is 6'5", 245lbs, 36-38" inseam for reference.

Looking to get my first bike! I don't want any kind of a sports bike as it'll kill my back, and I most likely won't fit anyways, and I don't really want a cruiser. I've heard a lot about dual-sports, good and bad. Good because I'd definitely fit on something like a KLR650 (out of budget though, and too much power I think,) but bad because the suspension and thin tires can get a brand new rider in trouble. So, I'm looking more towards a standard / naked bike.

I'm comfortable around the 400-550cc range. Also, on a budget. Max would be around $2,300.

Thanks for any suggestions / help you all can give. :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Hi & welcome to the forums :)

I think you probably SHOULD go look at a few KLR 650's they are great bikes and should fit your size very nicely. Kawasaki has been making them "forever" so finding a deal on a clean used one shouldn't be too tough.
Yes it is a 650, but the powerband isn't so radical as to surprise you, although you certainly want to give it respect.

Along the same lines, the Suzuki V-strom 650 would be another bike to go take a peek at.

If you really want a bike smaller than those, Suzuki also makes a DRZ400 which has quite a good reputation too.

There's some food for thought :D

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
l'm on the taller side as well, l am about 6'3". l ride an SV650 and it fits me well...l have a 34" inseam. lf you don't want a sport bike, though, l think your budget really limits you. Most of the bikes you are looking at are going to be in the $4000+ range, even used. A 650 V-Strom would probably be a great fit, but you are looking at a 5 grand used bike.

l like Nordicman's advice, a KLR 650 is a solid bike. lt is a single cylinder bike, only goes about 40 horsepower. There is a wide range of tires available for them as well; you can go anywhere from an almost-off-road knobby to a full-on street bike tire. It is easy to go to a bigger tire if you want, from what l gather. The Suzuki DR400 l have heard great things about as well. Any bigger dual purpose bike would fit fine, they have a reputation for being tall. You could get one of those to learn on, and a year or two down the road get the bike you really want.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Welcome from East Tennessee!!
I think you are getting good advice from other members on bikes that may fit your needs,Its good to listen to experienced riders.
Regards
Ed

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
My advice is go for the 650. Whatever bike you decide to get, your going to have to learn on it and get comfortable anyway. This way you will not want to upgrade after 6 months.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Welcome aboard :) As a new rider I started with a 650 and honestly, after having my vstar 650 for 2 months, I'm already noticing the lack of get up and go unless I really hammer at it. Would not recommend going lower than 650. I'm already putting money aside for a Harley or a 1300 Vstar, we'll see when I start test driving bikes in a year or two ;)

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Go for the KLR....or get shorter! Seriously, you will be fine on the KLR, really. I'm 6'1 and most people think I'm tall, I love sport bikes but just barely fit so I really doubt you could find one that was comfortable. Get teh KLR and the maybe graduate to a KTM or Triumph adventure. (see my avatar)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm watching this for the replies, I'm about an inch shorter than you are.
at our height, it's hard to find something to fit you right... so buy something you like and then modify it to fit you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts