Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm a former college offensive lineman looking for my first bike. I'm 6'7'' 310 lbs with a 36 inch inseam, and have no experience riding except for letting out the clutch in of my friends cbr600 in a parking lot. I've read a lot of the forums post about new bikes already so I know what bikes not to get. I'm looking for a preferably used bike (that way I won't feel bad when I lay it down) and my limit is around $5,000. I don't want any sports bike as I've already been to cycle-ergo.com, and I'm way to big. I don't find the riding position appealing, and I'm not looking for that kind of speed. I really like the look, riding position, and practical power of naked bikes, but I know I'm way to big for most. I like the looks of a lot of cruisers, but I know that I'm too tall for a lot of the beginner ones(sportster, bolt, rebel, etc) I also don't want something too heavy for my first bike which even the medium displacement cruisers are? In the end I'm willing to get any bike, as long as it's a good fit and in my budget. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,129 Posts
You are going to go and sit on a lot of bikes to find one or more that fit you. The more confortable you are in the saddle the more enjoyable your ride will be. Just be honest with the salesman tell him what you are doing.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Critter is right. The best way to find a bike that fits you is to go and sit on a lot of them. You should also take the BRC. It is a wonderful class and will teach you so much! Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Welcome! I agree with what has been said...take the BRC, try some bikes out. I was also going to suggest a dual purpose bike to start on. Once you learn to ride, there will be many options for your bigger frame. Most bikes that work for tall guys just also happen to be for experienced riders.

BTW, l am a huge college football fan...what school?

·
American Legion Rider
21,771 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Wow, you are a big one! I'm 6' 4" 225lbs. so I understand not wanting the racers crouch on a sport bike. You don't say what type of riding you intend to do, street, cruise or on/off road. The best choice to start is dual purpose with the ability to ride on dirt, surprisingly the skills do translate to the street. Another choice could be adventure touring as they are taller and may be a little better on road than the single cylinder dual purpose. The only drawback is price, a 650 dual purpose should have enough power to haul you around though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Man I'm in the exact same boat as you. 6'7 250 former college basketball player looking to ride but no experience whatsoever on motorcycles. Looks like we're at the right place to learn though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts