Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Ural the only company who makes sidecar bikes? How is driving a sidecar different than a regular bike? I was looking on their website and it looks like all the bikes are 750s, which is smaller than I expected. I also noticed that they say the max recommended speed is 70mph (~112km/h), which is a little concerning to me since there are highways I travel with speed limits of 110km/h.

Not that I'm going to be buying one any time soon, but a bike with a sidecar is definitely on my "wish list".

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
There is a joke about Ural's always being broken down. I don't think they are considered to be a very dependable bike.

Unkle Crusty has a sidecar for his Yamaha XS1100 l believe, which is similar in age to your Maxim, maybe a hair older. I think you would be better off to get another older Japanese bike like the one you have, only a bit bigger (maybe a Kawasaki KZ750, for example?) and get a sidecar kit mounted to it. I am not sure what all it entails but it can't be that involved.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Motorcycles with a sidecar don't steer like two-wheeled ones.

I believe Royal Enfield also builds a factory sidecar for their motorcycles.

·
Registered
886 Posts
If I am right the sidecar models of Urals are two wheel drive capable that make good off road bikes in mud and snow. They are supposed to be ancient copies of a BMW design from I think WW2 bikes that are very tractor like in power characteristics, if you are used to modern bikes they will be very slow and technologically deficient. If you are interested in sidecar bikes you should look into modern BMWs for a better riding and performing examples, but I think you can get sidecar conversions for other makes as well. But I don't think they are cheap, Urals aren't cheap either.

·
8,592 Posts
Stay away unless you have a nearby dealer and don't take them far from them.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=ZV_-BXT7lEziL4m0AxLQwg&bvm=bv.99804247,d.aWw

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=_gnyYmkCctt4WFazdvDLyg&bvm=bv.99804247,d.aWw

They look good like those Hollywood Hot bodies but I'm sure it would be fun for a few miles:wink: but the maintenance would be prohibitive:biggrin:

The cost is way out of line. You could by an entire Russian city for that price.:frown:
Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, scratch Ural off the list, lol. Will have to check out other sidecar options.

·
8,592 Posts
Cover tune, I went to GOOGLE and typed in: "Motorcycles with sidecars for sale" and a lot showed up.

The problem is not the URAL sidecar, I had a new one installed on my new 1981 Yamaha XS1100 and it was fantastic. The problem is the Motorcycle attached to it!

Sam:biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
The best thing a person can do that likes the Ural would be to get a BMW and put a sidecar on it. The only think you would be missing is the wheel on the sidecar being a drive wheel. Unfortunately that's one feature that makes the Ural attractive. So I'm wondering if you can change a BMW rear end with a Ural since the Ural is basically a copy of a BMW. But even if you could, isn't that one of the items that fails on the Ural so you would be back to the same problems the Ural is plagued with? Too bad because it really is a neat idea.

·
8,592 Posts
I wonder if a real vintage---but very reliable BMW engine/ trans assembly would just fit into the Ural Frame?

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm.. I checked out the BMW website, don't see anything about sidecars on there.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I did a search on the internet and there are companies that sell aftermarket sidecars for most makes of bikes, they cost around $4000 or more, then you have to add it yourself or pay someone else to add it on.

·
Super Moderator
565 Posts
That post by Bokad on ADV was such a wonderful train wreck to read. I remember when it first got posted and I followed every page of it.

It's like every story with two sides: The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Porky says "don't take it too far away from a dealer"

Yet there are those who tour on Urals and have gone cross country without doing more than maybe changing a tire. Dig into Soviet Steeds a bit more and it's not all doom and gloom.

They've got problems, but nothing anyone with some mechanical aptitude can't handle. I'd like to have one but can't afford it right now. I'd follow the advice of those who actually have experience with them, give attention where it was needed and ride happy.... More than 200 miles away from a dealer.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
You made me have to look that up. Okay, I'm done today. Learned my one thing for the day.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts