Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"No" silly.............I don't mean riding your bike thru the automatic wash!! (lol)

I'm wondering if any of you have used the hand-held sprayers (for washing and rinsing) at the Car Wash, for your bike.

Bad idea? No issues? Easier? (Certainly not as "cheap" as washing it at home with your own soap.

Suggestions (Bring rags to dry it with, of course)......????

Here's a video of a guy going thru the automated wash. What an idiot!! (lol)

-Soupy

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Bad idea. That high pressure washer will penetrate areas that you do not want to get wet. A bucket, some nice soap solution and 10 minutes of your time will get your bike clean with no downside.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The high pressure hose at the car wash can remove grease from bearings and force water into electrical connections.

Rinsing with a gentle spray from a garden hose is ok.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We cleaned our offroad bikes and ATV's at the coin wash all the time. The type of place where you hold the wand NOT the automatic pass-thru type. That way YOU have control of where the high pressure spray is going so you can avoid squirting any sensitive areas like bearings and electrical connectors

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I owned my last bike for 3 years and never gave it a full washing. I now use a spray cleaner/polish on the painted parts and a wet cloth to get the bugs off the windscreen. Washing is for sissies!

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I give my ride the Magic Wand all the time. She loves it.
Knocks bugs off without all the scrubbing that can scratch the shield / paint. Finish her up with a light waxing and eyeglass cleaner on the windscreen. Lotsa soft towels.

Oh, you mean my motorcycle?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
How do you wash a bike when you are too busy riding her? I've always washed mine by hand. She's in need of another one, but I'll be too busy riding her...

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you wash a bike when you are too busy riding her? I've always washed mine by hand. She's in need of another one, but I'll be too busy riding her...
I find it interesting that you speak of her as "she." For some strange reason, I figured a lady would call her bike a "he." (lol)

I clean the windshield fairly regularly, out of necessity. When I see something particular that needs cleaning, I do it, but........I don't wash the bike regularly, as a whole.

-Soupy

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
OK yeah, I have on a couple occasions used a coin rack to wash mine. I used low pressure rinse and the foaming brush. It actually worked very well.
Mind you at the time I lived on a dirt road and it was three miles of mud to the blacktop. I wasn't going to carry my bucket that far:biggrin:

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
I always knock off the grime at the car wash before cleaning by hand so I don't scratch the finish. But you do need to be wary of where you are focusing the pressure.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
mine gets "washed" when it rains, if it's really dirty I go for a ride to "power wash" it....I do have a towel on the bike (for the early morning dew) that I use to dry the seat and wipe off the tank and windshield

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Ive always assumed my vehicles to be a her. Lady? Hell im just an aging tomboy...99 percent of my friends are male. Which is probably why I call everything a her...

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,225 Posts
I owned my last bike for 3 years and never gave it a full washing. I now use a spray cleaner/polish on the painted parts and a wet cloth to get the bugs off the windscreen. Washing is for sissies!
mine gets "washed" when it rains, if it's really dirty I go for a ride to "power wash" it....I do have a towel on the bike (for the early morning dew) that I use to dry the seat and wipe off the tank and windshield
Lets see... wash the bike or ride the bike?
I know which one I would choose!

·
Registered
699 Posts
It is supposed to pour rain later. I may wheel the bike out in it 10 minutes or so. I have never really washed my bike. I have wiped it down from time to time and religiously clean my headlight, but have never actually washed the bike. It is weird because I always wash my truck.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
I've used the car wash once or twice without issues, but became worried about the issues the people have already posted here. I've since bought a really nice sprayer for my garden hose and just do it at home.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't trust car washers in general, even the manual ones for any vehicle, because I've heard stories of sand being left in the scrub brushes, and even residue on the spray nozzle of sand and dirt that would not be good on any paint or chrome finishes...

Hose and washcloth, with a bucket of dish soapy hot water works much better anyway, and costs a tenth of a car wash.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Once I tried a car wash, I had plenty of grime on my chrome.......afterwards I still had plenty of grime on my chrome, I'm sure it was on the paint too, just couldn't see it.

I too like riding more than washing, but I also like my bikes clean and shiny. So I just have to take the time to wash them every now and then. And sometimes break out the wax and polish.

Actually washing and shining isn't a big deal, its drying that irks me.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts