Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha Everyone,

I'm a new rider and I thought I'd share the flip side of living on the beautiful, but remote Pacific island of Kauai..we've got no MSF classes here! Never has been even one. In order to take the class I must fly over to Oahu and stay in a hotel for at least 2 nights...so add ~$350-400 for airfare, rental car, food and lodging to the price of the course ($200). Figure $600 total if I keep things in check. Well, considering my cheap Buell Blast cost me only $1300, this is almost 50% of the price of my bike! Ouch.

I've been writing our local gov't to have them bring the course to Kauai...it used to run on Oahu, Big Island (aka Hawaii), and Maui, but never on Kauai. Currently they've cut back and the MSF course is only being given on Oahu and all neighbor islanders have to travel like I am. Obvious result of this is we have a lot less well trained, MSF graduate riders on the outer islands...and that makes the roads less safe for riders and non-riders alike. Hopefully they will do something about this...but I want to get my MSF course under my belt asap.

As they say, "When life gives you lemons; keep 'em. Hey, it's FREE LEMONS!"

..So we decided to make a small family vacation out of all this since it's only a "little" more (cough) to have my wife and kids come along. I'm looking forward to the experience.

·
10,763 Posts
I had a friend that lived on Maui for a time. We occasionally talked about how expensive the cost of living was there. He called it the "paradise tax". Still you are doing things the right way. Let us know how the class turns out. Also since your family will be there to congratulate you when pass, it will be more than worth it to have them along!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts