Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! So i live in Colorado, and you know our weather, once second it can be sunny and 85 then 15 minutes later its a blizzard and you cant even see 5 feet in front of you. So i am planning on riding my bike all year long ( i have a car to help with those snow and ice days. It can get pretty dang cold here we sometimes, can get to the negatives if our state really wants to pi** us off!

Does anyone have any tips or anything i should know about how to take care of my bike in the winter time? It unfortunately will be outside most of the time and covered with a bike cover. (keep in mind its a pretty thin bike cover)

Some days i can move it into the garage but that's for my girls new car (boo). Are there certain procedures i should do daily if it snows or is extremely cold? Weekly procedures? Should i get a heavy duty bike cover if its outside?

any advice helps thank you all! :coffee::coffeescreen:

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
It would be a cold day in **** before I left my bike outside while my girlfriend's car gets the garage. Time for a new girlfriend. :biggrin:

Just sayin...........

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Have another look at the generic posts. There is already a thread dealing with winter preps with a rather odd title like, time to think about it, or something like that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be a cold day in **** before I left my bike outside while my girlfriend's car gets the garage. Time for a new girlfriend. :biggrin:

Just sayin...........

Haha, i love her to much to fight with her on it so thats why im getting options and opinions on what to do in the winter!

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Bikes are weatherproof as long as you keep them protected from the elements by waxing and polishing. The tires will take a little weather beating, but they wear out anyway. If it's going to sit very long without being ridden, add a little stabilizer of your choice to the tank and put a trickle charger on the battery.

I do none of the above, I ride all year round as long as there is no ice on the road and the temperature is above 10*. I also have the choice to not use ethanol fuel, that is an advantage too.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If you HAVE to park your bike outside I highly recommend you grab a portable shelter something like this

Only $150 at Home Depot. MUCH better protection than just a cover thrown over the bike.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Don't fight, metal roofing material and a few 2X4's are pretty cheap. Build a lean to garage, using the garage wall, large enough to hold 2 bikes minimum. Yep, 2 bikes...you just never know when she will also want a bike of her own. :D :D

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
^^^Lol!

I'll get rid of my chain wallet when I stop riding motorcycles and need to retire to a tricycle. :biggrin:

I'm playin too, of course. ;) Bi, tri, it's all good.

(Somehow, those last five words don't sound quite right....)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hey atleast we dont have to worry about eye losing his wallet. Ive switched over to a chain wallet after having to pluck my wallet out of toilet. Needless to say that wallet went in the garbage can. Ive never owned a pocketbook and after 43 years why start now.

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
Try to keep the gas tank topped off. In colder weather, water will condense inside the gas tank if there is air space (due to not being topped off). Also, add the correct amount of SeaFoam to the gas every other fill-up (don't over-do it though...), as this will absorb water, and dissolve varnish deposits within the fuel system.

Check the tire pressure, as it will vary with temperatures, and you will want the best traction at all times.

Check the battery's electrolyte level, if conventional, and be sure it is topped off, and fully charged (adding water will lower its charge -- connect it to a smart charger!); if it is a conventional, lead-acid battery, consider replacing it with an AGM (maintenance free; less susceptible to colder temperatures; all around a much better battery than a conventional will ever be!).

Install a battery voltmeter
, if you have not done so already: it will allow you to monitor the health of the battery, as well as the health, and functionality of the charging system -- you don't want to be stranded somewhere, in the sub-freezing temperatures...

If your bike does not have an oil temperature gauge (almost none do... if water-cooled, see below), see if you can install one. Oil needs to reach 180 F to suspend crud, and to flow properly, for best lubrication. If your bike is water-cooled, it may never reach 180 F in the oil, due to heat loss through the radiator -- cover it with cardboard to minimize heat loss. The oil temperature gauge will also warn you if you need to remove the cardboard, to avoid over-heating. If your bike has a water temperature gauge, use that instead, but the cardboard over the radiator still applies.

Consider using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0W-40 oil. The greatest wear occurs when the engine first starts up: very little oil present; oil is cold and thick, and slow to circulate. With a full synthetic oil, at 0-weight viscosity, the oil will flow very easily, and quickly, at start-up; as it warms up, it will thicken to 40-weight, assuming your engine calls for 40-weight oil. Adjust the viscosity selection to match the OEM's recommendations. I would recommend full synthetic over conventional oils, however, as they work so much better. They are, IMO, worth the added cost. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Perfect thank you all for your info, I will make sure I take the correct steps to keep my bike in tip top shape during the cold months!! Thanks again everyone!!

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Try to keep the gas tank topped off. In colder weather, water will condense inside the gas tank if there is air space (due to not being topped off). Also, add the correct amount of SeaFoam to the gas every other fill-up (don't over-do it though...), as this will absorb water, and dissolve varnish deposits within the fuel system.

Check the tire pressure, as it will vary with temperatures, and you will want the best traction at all times.

Check the battery's electrolyte level, if conventional, and be sure it is topped off, and fully charged (adding water will lower its charge -- connect it to a smart charger!); if it is a conventional, lead-acid battery, consider replacing it with an AGM (maintenance free; less susceptible to colder temperatures; all around a much better battery than a conventional will ever be!).

Install a battery voltmeter
, if you have not done so already: it will allow you to monitor the health of the battery, as well as the health, and functionality of the charging system -- you don't want to be stranded somewhere, in the sub-freezing temperatures...

If your bike does not have an oil temperature gauge (almost none do... if water-cooled, see below), see if you can install one. Oil needs to reach 180 F to suspend crud, and to flow properly, for best lubrication. If your bike is water-cooled, it may never reach 180 F in the oil, due to heat loss through the radiator -- cover it with cardboard to minimize heat loss. The oil temperature gauge will also warn you if you need to remove the cardboard, to avoid over-heating. If your bike has a water temperature gauge, use that instead, but the cardboard over the radiator still applies.

Consider using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0W-40 oil. The greatest wear occurs when the engine first starts up: very little oil present; oil is cold and thick, and slow to circulate. With a full synthetic oil, at 0-weight viscosity, the oil will flow very easily, and quickly, at start-up; as it warms up, it will thicken to 40-weight, assuming your engine calls for 40-weight oil. Adjust the viscosity selection to match the OEM's recommendations. I would recommend full synthetic over conventional oils, however, as they work so much better. They are, IMO, worth the added cost. Cheers!
:coffee:

Obviously, you have no idea what your posting......... Your supposed to use Amzoil full Synthetic not that cheap crap, Mobil 1 !!!!!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Build a simple ramp so that you can take the bike into your house/apartment. Your girlfriend will eventually get pissed and decide to give you the garage and leave her car (which can handle being left outside) at the curb. If bringing it in doesn't work to get your girlfriend to change her mind about garage priorities, change the oil while it is on the living room rug. That would do it for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Make sure you let it warm up plenty, with my '93 nighthawk I have to keep the choke on atleast half way the whole time while riding in the cold

1 - 18 of 18 Posts