Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted before about getting my 83 honda nighthawk 650 up and running. As of now most of the problems have been worked out. It is running very smooth. Thanks for all of the advice!!!!
One thing still wrong is that the tail light is not working. The brake light works fine with both the foot and hand brake, just no tail light. Are there any forums on this? any ideas?

L

·
0 Posts
Rear Tail Light

Well, I won't even mention the Bulb except to say I've had brand new bulbs be bad as well! :eek: If in doubt, change it again. ;) Moving on from that, have a look at the light bulb socket itself. These are spring loaded and sometimes through one means or another the Insulator Plate can hang up in the socket itself, and not make contact with the center conductor of the light bulb. Single conductor bulb sockets (such as used on rear turn signals) are bad enough, but these dual conductor types are even more touchy. You can safely put your finger in the socket here and see it springs back after applying pressure. If not disassemble the socket assembly and correct as required (usually a bit of WD-40 though can safely sort these out). Next even though your Brake Light is functioning you could still be experiencing a bad ground / broken ground wire. Yeah, it’s crazy but been there / done that! Just make sure the ground is okay by taking a test lead (2 alligator clips and a couple feet of 18-20 gauge stranded insulated wire) and clip one to the housing and find a good clean ground on the frame somewhere (or better still the Negative terminal of the battery). If your Tail Light is now operational there you go.

If not, how bout’ fuses? I’m assuming your Headlight IS ok, but how about the Instrument Light (backlighting for the Speedo and Tach)? If those are out as well, see if you have a separate circuit for the Tail and Instrument lights via an individual fuse. Still no soap check the connections cluster located at just about where your rear fender meets the frame. In the case of Hondas it’s normally a brown wire that is the rear tail light circuit BUT be sure to check a Schematic in a CB650 Shop Manual first!!! In any case, see if any of these connections may of become dislodged.

LRG

Footnote: All I can say is Hondas OR Harleys, Beemers OR Victories, every bike I've ever known has done the SAME darn thing. So at least THIS is the great 'Equalizer' between brands! Nuff' said. :cool:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts