Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 suzuki sv 1000 the tail light on. But no break light. No switch is stuck on keeping the break lit. Turn signals work turn signals in tail light work. But both switches do not engage the break light. And left handle bar switch my pass butten dose nuthing i checked inside seems to have good conection but dose nuthing. I know their all tied in together somehow maybe its relaited. Fuses all good. Im lost what am i missing? Please help

·
Six-String Jockey
1,858 Posts
Well, start with the simple things first. Normally brake light bulbs are the '2-element' kind of bulbs. It is very common for the tail light to work, but the brake light element is broken, so simply put in a new bulb and see if that works. Remember, the most simple explanation is usually the one that is correct.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i would have done that but its led. And all lights work it has tail/break/blinker lights in the whole unit and not one broken light.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I resently put wire conector on one blinker wire and before that as fare as i know it was working. Do you think the wire volts got changed and is causing the problem?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or maybe water damage i put on a new rear seat and it is a tad higher so dew and such can get in maybe the water shorted the break light.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Find the wire that goes to the brake light and see if you're getting voltage on that when you apply the brakes. If not, you know the issue is in the harness and you can start tracing the wires backwards.

If you do have voltage on the brake light wire you can then check from the LED brake / turn signal unit to a known good ground. If it works, you know you have a bad ground circuit. If not, you know your LED unit is defective.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How would i check for good ground? Place the black to the ground and red to break light wire or the bliker wire?

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
The easiest way, if you don't have a multi-meter or test light, is to run a wire between the LED ground and a case bolt or battery "-" terminal. If the LED now works when you hit the brakes you know that your ground was bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ran wire from battery to break light and both worked so must be a short somewhere. Multimeter read .50 for tail light and 0.00 for break light but also i got a read of 14 on break light momentarely while hooked up to battery trickle charge and blew my 30 amp fuse

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Ok the break light works so its somewhere on the wiring harnest?
What you did was to effectively replace your bike's wiring harness ground by running a wire directly from the ground side of the LED to the battery negative terminal. If that's what you did, and the brake light works when you press the brake lever, then yes, you have a bad ground or short in some part of your harness.

You'll need a wiring diagram to continue checking the harness.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And i just took red black to battery then red black to the led assembly and everthing lit as it should i bypassed the switch all together.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
And i just took red black to battery then red black to the led assembly and everthing lit as it should i bypassed the switch all together.
If you bypassed the switch then you haven't really checked the ground side of the circuit, but you at least know the LED unit works.

Look, what you do is start on the positive side of the LED unit. Check for power going TO the unit when the brake light switch is activated. If you have power and the unit doesn't light, you know you have an issue on the ground, or negative side. If you DON'T have power when the switch is activated, then you know you have to check the positive side of the circuit. What you're saying, above, isn't clear on what you've done.

You have to isolate each suspected part of the circuit and test it in a logical, methodical order. A wiring diagram will show you what the circuit consists of and where the various connectors are.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If this break light is pluged in how would i test for power? And what would i tuch the mutimeter red to break light and the black to anywhere thats grounded or to the breaks ground?

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
If this break light is pluged in how would i test for power?
Unplug the light and check for power at the plug coming from the wiring harness. Put your red meter wire on the plug, on the appropriate power wire, and your black meter wire on a known good ground. Such as battery negative terminal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so i got a response from the meter when i squeezed the break but i had meter set for 20 dcv and the number was very small like .01 to .03 but it was chanving the volts. What do you think that means bad ground?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The brown wire was at like 11.9 and the w/b at 0.00 then squeez and .02 to .03 and the other wire i think is the ground at .13

1 - 20 of 31 Posts