Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I want to change my clutch from cable to hydraulic, but I don't seem to find any 'how-to' or instructions.
I do a lot of city driving, so a smooth hydraulic clutch is preferred. Furthermore, if there is any recommendation on which to buy, please bring them up.
Therefore, I wanted to ask if it's a hard part to change and if there are any instructions or help to find.

Thanks,

Edin

·
Zip
2,906 Posts
I had a '78 GS550. When I first bought it the clutch did not operate well. If your 400 is anything like my 550 you can make the clutch work very smooth without needing to change it to hydraulic. On mine, inside the left engine cover where the clutch cable goes in there was a nylon worm gear lever attached to the clutch cable. When you squeezed the clutch lever the cable rotated that lever which caused it to push on a rod that goes through the transmission over to the clutch and releases it. That nylon worm gear lever was sticking. I put some lube on it and also lubed the clutch cable. After that the clutch operation was silky smooth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.