Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 25, 160 lbs, and 5'7 and am new to riding. I got my permit and bought a volusia 800 as my first bike which I have practiced on. After learning on it for 3 weeks, im thinking I'll be more comfortable on a more more narrow bike that maybe has a little less weight. I feel great with the power/torque but I'm too nervous splitting lanes at red lights with the volusia due to its size/ maneuverability. What standard bike would you recommend for me on the highway and in the city?

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
My first thought is a Suzuki SV650. How much are you looking to spend?

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
For 4k you should be able to get a very nice used SV650, or a Kawasaki ER6-N. I'd get something at least 400cc if you're going to be spending much time on the freeway. I'm sure someone will be along soon with more ideas for potential standard bikes.

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

Why are you splitting lanes at stoplights? That's not a safe thing to do regardless of what bike you're on. Stay in one lane. Near the middle but enough away from the car ahead so you can pull to the side of it if you sense someone behind you is going to run into you.

--

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in California where lane splitting is legal. I never see bikers in one lane without moving to the front at a red light.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If you don't like your bike that's fine.

But three weeks is a very short time to grow accustom to a motorcycle.
I have been riding 30 years. We bought out latest bike late last fall, I have about 3K on it this spring. I am still getting a feel for it.

Keep looking, but keep riding. You might find your OK after all.

Good luck.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Did you or someone else add bags and/or fairing? That bike isn't that bad. But you are probably dealing with what we try to warn noobs about. Start small and work up. Ever heard the phrase you made your bed now sleep in it? It comes to mind. You may or may not be able to trade without losing money. Your best bet would be to find someone that wants to trade up. Then both will win. If you aren't having issues other than splitting lanes, I'd suggest just bide your time and do a lot more parking lot practice.

I've lived in California and know that not EVERYONE splits those lanes. Pick and choose when to split and other times just stay put. I split with my Electra Glide so I know there is room. You just need to know your bike and that comes with practice, not commuting in traffic. I know, you hate me but I hate to see you start over on yet another machine and lose what you already know about the one you're on. Practice. Now if you just don't like the bike that's all together different.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I have an SV650 and l love it. They are talking about making lanesplitting legal here in Washington. I am not inclined to lanesplit, even if it is legal. I think it is a practice that can get one in trouble. But IF l was going to split lanes, my bike would be easy to do it on. It has a great power/weight/balance ratio for a newer rider as well. It is a 2004, l got it almost a year ago with 5k miles on it for only $3000. You can get a great one for $4000

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I fully understand your dilemma. I have owned my Victory for 21000 miles and 2 years and no way would I lane split on it. It measures 44 inches from side to side at the widest spot on the fairing. I always lane split when I was riding in SoCal but back then I was on a standard bike, not this boat. I do like the looks of a V-Strom for that kind of riding.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Legal or otherwise, cruiser or standard, lane splitting is a more advanced maneuver. Learn to ride the bike first.

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
Its a California thing! I did it on my Wings.
--

Well, while in California, I split lanes in moving traffic, but not at stop lights. The danger there is that you make two lanes into three all at once with two having to declare dominance. Probably not good.

--

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm 25, 160 lbs, and 5'7 and am new to riding. I got my permit and bought a volusia 800 as my first bike which I have practiced on. After learning on it for 3 weeks, im thinking I'll be more comfortable on a more more narrow bike that maybe has a little less weight. I feel great with the power/torque but I'm too nervous splitting lanes at red lights with the volusia due to its size/ maneuverability. What standard bike would you recommend for me on the highway and in the city?
After only 3 weeks, I have to wonder if it is YOUR decision to move to another bike ... or are your friends prodding you to get something faster, lighter and more .... testosterone-generating.

I did the stop light splits for 28 years on Gold Wings, bikes that were nearly 48" wide at the highway pegs, and seldom felt the urge to get a narrower bike for THAT reason.

670,000 miles of riding experience ... and counting!

I think you should concentrate more on learning how to not CRASH the bike, and less on the particular bike you are riding. If you buy the "bullet bike" that is calling your name, with only weeks of experience, you are just an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
275 Posts
--

Well, while in California, I split lanes in moving traffic, but not at stop lights. The danger there is that you make two lanes into three all at once with two having to declare dominance. Probably not good.

--
So true. I am older now, and not so impatient. I don't mind falling into the queue, and allowing the traffic light to advance me.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Guys, do you have a narrow standard to suggest as the OP asked for or do you insist on just giving your opinion of lane splitting. Unless you have actually done it, you are not entitled to lecture him on the advantages or disadvantages of actually doing it.
You do have a lot of experience with bikes and that is what he wanted to get.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts