Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys?

So recently I purchased a swingarm leather bag for my V Rod. Mind you it was an absolute pain in the a$$ to put on... but when I finished it looked great! It even came with a little mini fuel bottle to ride around with. Well, the FIRST day I took it for a ride....I made a (not even sharp) right turn and the thing scrapped against the pavement!!!!! stupid me for some reason thought "They're made for that" and kept riding. When I got to my destination I saw the outer corner was eaten up!! Its still functional but damn...I just grinded away the corner of my 200$ swingarm bag....Now I have to take turns like an 80 year old man....

I post pictures tomorrow during the day but...wow.

Any other cruiser riders here ride with them? Experiences?

·
Premium Member
5,424 Posts
This is the first I've heard of them; seems like a poor place to put a storage bag of any kind. I guess your experience kind of confirms that opinion.

Seems like adding unsprung weight would also make handling worse, since minimizing that kind of weight is the goal of any suspension design.

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt notice any difference in handling... until I made that turn. Im guessing its a new thing? I honestly have never seen them before either, until I did some research on what kind of bags I could put on my V Rod, swingarm bags are common applications, and they make them for just about any cruiser out there.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I've seen them before....especially when I was looking for bags back when I had my Suzuki....I always thought that they sat too low, as you found out....

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I bought a Willie and Max, for the Sportster, wouldn't fit without removing the passenger peg........well it would fit but it would have to mount so low it would be dragging the ground on every left turn.

Same problem with the Yamaha, the Suzuki had saddlebags so I never checked, I haven't checked the Kawasaki's yet because I had forgotten about the bag until seeing this thread.

leatherup.com makes one that fits on the opposite way, and the price is right, but it doesn't look like it would be stable. Its made of genuine faux vinyl.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Tool-Bags/Xelement-Buffalo-Nickel-Left-Side-Tool-Bag/7183137.html

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I've seen swingarm bags they're pretty neat, but I already have saddlebags so there isn't much space for one of those.. I've thought about getting a front frame mounted bag instead like this to carry tools & stuff, but keep thinking the bag is gonna get FILTHY from front wheel spray. Anybody have one of these?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've seen swingarm bags they're pretty neat, but I already have saddlebags so there isn't much space for one of those.. I've thought about getting a front frame mounted bag instead like this to carry tools & stuff, but keep thinking the bag is gonna get FILTHY from front wheel spray. Anybody have one of these?
You could always get a mud flap. I put one on and cleaning became much easier.:)

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
I had a swing arm bag on an old Triumph hard tail I had years ago and it worked out pretty well for carrying a few light tools and such. Looking at the picture you posted above though I seem to recall it being mounted a little higher, but that's hard to say.

On that bike there really wasn't any danger of my trying to lean it too far in a turn though. Just getting it down the road without it breaking down was hard enough.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
Yeah, it will get nasty and your tools will get wet and rusty. A better place is to mount the bag across the forks right below the headlight, if you have room.

·
On The Road Again!
3,125 Posts
A swingarm bag, and anything in it, will get beat to hell from
the wheel and swingarm bouncing over every bump.
A bag mounted to the bike takes advantage of the bikes suspension.
Bad idea, if you ask me.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
A swingarm bag, and anything in it, will get beat to hell from
the wheel and swingarm bouncing over every bump.
A bag mounted to the bike takes advantage of the bikes suspension.
Bad idea, if you ask me.
It doesn't make much difference on a hard tail. You wouldn't want to put your watch or electronics in the bag, but they do okay for tools and what not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts