Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to take my street bike to the track and want to use track rubber, but I also want to ride the bike after. As I plan on going to the track often I'm thinking about getting a second set of rims that I can change out, one for track one for street. As opposed to changing the tire and rebalancing each time. Is this possible? or would it mess with the chain and sprockets too much? I'm sure that in a weekend it's possible to go through a set of used rubber but I doubt I can go through a full street tire between track days. thoughts?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
That should work just fine and I don't see why it would cause extra wear on the chain or sprockets. Even if it does, replacing those is a lot easier than replacing tires! I had that setup for my Forester, i.e. one set of rims for spring, summer, and fall, and another for winter. It was great and both sets seemed to last longer.

·
Ace Tuner
3,557 Posts
Changing wheels should not do anything to your chain/sprockets. You'll be using the same chain and sprocket for both wheels, right?

But think of this...
At the racetrack you'll wear the edges of your tires, very little wear of the center in comparison. (Assuming you are up to speed and 'in the groove').
On the street you'll wear the center of the tire. (Even if you really blast in the corners, still the center).
Also, after you get fast on the track You Will Corner Faster on the street, it just happens.
You'll be safer with race tires on the street.
Don't let the "experts" tell you race tires have to get hot and gummy in order to work. They are correct, but only to a point.
Point is, cold race tires provide better traction than cold street tires. Right out of the shop, better traction.
Race or street, ANY tire works better warmed up.
BTW, you can get a street tire hot and gummy on the track but I've yet to find a public road/street where it can be done.
The drawback is a race tire on the rear will wear out the center sooner running on the street.

Full disclosure.
Advertising these days claims treaded race tires are not for running in the rain. Are they recommending rain only race tires? I don't know.
It's been a while since I've run pure race tires (treaded) in the rain, on the street, but when I did the compound of the race tire provided better traction in the wet than the street version did.

Nothing at all wrong with your idea of changing wheels around.... The above is just my thoughts. :icon_cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts