Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1983 Suzuki GS750E i recently purchased front and rear led indicator assemblies from Ebay. I have only started with the rears so far and i have found that even though the power is connected properly but they will not flash, i reconnected the old and they work. I am assuming that this is not a problem with the lights necessarily other than that they have a lower resistance and the flasher/relay wont work. What is the easiest or best fix for this as i cant ride till i get back my turn signals.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The best fix is that you need to purchase the proper relay for the LED indicators and replace the old one on your bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, kind of what I figured I think I'll just wire everything up and go to the parts store, thanks!
I'll reply when I get it done, hopefully tomorrow

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
An LED draws far less current than a conventional bulb. A proper LED set up will add in a load resistor to help match the original current draw so that things like a flasher will still work. The resistor is just wired in parallel with the LED to increase the total current going through that wire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purchased a new flasher today that is led compatible, it will plug right in where the original one is. tomorrow i will change the remaining front two blinkers to my new led's and plug in that flasher, hopefully that is all i will need, id rather not get to involved with this, but the led's look a heck of a lot nicer than the rotting old shaky stock incandescent blinker assemblies.

·
American Legion Rider
23,555 Posts
Are they as bright as the incandescent bulbs? I tried LED's on my VTX and not only would they not blink, they were not nearly as bright. And the package said "Super Bright LED". So because the VTX is rather light challenged, I put the old lights back in. People talked about how much less current the LED's draw but I could care less if drivers couldn't see me and when I hit the brakes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that you mention it my brother was following me yesterday and he mentioned they didn't look very bright, I just figured it was because I didn't have the new compatible flasher installed and or because I have not replaced the front ones yet. I'll repost when I get it completed

·
Honk if you've never seen a gun fired from a bike
821 Posts
You need resistance for the flashers to work. LED's have much lower resistance than conventional bulbs. When I installed mine, with a trailer harness adapter, they were quick. Without the adapter, they were lightning quick.

I'd look into completely repowering. Get your stock relay, and wire it into a trailer harness adapter, then run those wires to the signals, and it should work fine. I got mine from AUtozone for $16.99+tax.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The relay for LED (electronic) should work for the flash.

If you run into all four lights flashing when complete try taking out your indicator lamp (in the dash) and see if it fixes your problem. Alot of the time it will backfeed through this bulb and cause all four of them to flash.

The fix to this is to put in an inline diode with that bulb, or to replace it with a similar LED that will only feed one direction.

·
Registered
413 Posts
You need resistance for the flashers to work. LED's have much lower resistance than conventional bulbs. When I installed mine, with a trailer harness adapter, they were quick. Without the adapter, they were lightning quick.

I'd look into completely repowering. Get your stock relay, and wire it into a trailer harness adapter, then run those wires to the signals, and it should work fine. I got mine from AUtozone for $16.99+tax.
Kind of.... LED's draw very little current and have a low resistance. Thus you can put a resistor in the circuit so that the current flowing through the LED is what the LED was designed for. A dummy load (wiring the correct resistor in parralel with the LED) will allow the LED indicators to work in your existing system, but doesn't provide any power savings. Excess electricity is just converted to heat by the resistor. Also, if an LED fails, the rest of your indicators may not flash correctly. Putting the proper resistor in series (which will be a different value than dummy load resistor), will allow power savings, but the relay probably won't flash at the proper rate, because it was designed to output at a higher current. By using a trailer harness you are just artificially adding resistance to the circuit by using longer wire. That is why his was still not operating properly.

Instead, you should just buy the proper relay. The proper relay will output the right current for the LED and it will flash at an appropriate rate. And they are not very expensive. Why people recommend taking shortcuts and don't just get the right component for the job is beyond me. The electrical system on a bike is something that you want to be reliable and not jurry rig together.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I purchased a new flasher today that is led compatible, it will plug right in where the original one is. tomorrow i will change the remaining front two blinkers to my new led's and plug in that flasher, hopefully that is all i will need, id rather not get to involved with this, but the led's look a heck of a lot nicer than the rotting old shaky stock incandescent blinker assemblies.
Once you replace the remaining two blinkers and install this relay, it should work properly. Glad you went this route. :thumbsup: That is the correct fix.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The relay for LED (electronic) should work for the flash.

If you run into all four lights flashing when complete try taking out your indicator lamp (in the dash) and see if it fixes your problem. Alot of the time it will backfeed through this bulb and cause all four of them to flash.

The fix to this is to put in an inline diode with that bulb, or to replace it with a similar LED that will only feed one direction.
Just as an FYI, an LED only allows current in one direction by definition. LED = Light Emitting Diode. Diodes only allow electricity to flow in one direction, unless you overwhelm their design current.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
My present bike has a 4 LED tail light called a BrightAssLight model BAL-1. Try the videos here if you want to see what a good LED can do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts