Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanna pull off my Rinehart mufflers, and put some "more throaty" mufflers on my Road Glide.

I don't wanna be SO loud that I piss off the neighbors, but I WOULD like to be louder than I am.

Suggestions? (Sound files welcome)

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
You want to take off your high quality $600 Rineharts and replace them with a $200 used stock Harley pipe with a new baffle welded in? So it might sound a little better?

My suggestion is to not worry about it and go for a ride.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did that just now........to work.

"Used" ??????

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
Soupy, are you truly looking for louder, or are you looking for deeper, better sound? I know that you know the difference. And cheap usually just gets you louder, with little, if any attention paid to the sound quality and performance of the engine.

Do your current mufflers use the quiet baffle? If so, try going to the standard baffle. Or, if you have the standard baffle now, try going to the quiet baffle. Obviously the quiet baffle would not give you the "louder" you claim to want, but they often create a deeper sound that you might appreciate.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I could take the baffle out of my existing RinhartsI would do it, but I don't know how.

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
And, when you're done googling that, look up, "How to tell if my bike needs to be re-tuned after switching pipes."
Well that ought to keep him busy for awhile.:devil:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,808 Posts
Naw, he will just ask on here and expect someone to tell him the answer.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sure is nice to be loved!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a pair of nice, used, factory stock Harley mufflers and putting them on my Yamaha. I bought it with L.A. Chopper pipes on it and it's too loud!
Sounds good but it's annoying on a long trip.
Even used Yamaha RSTD pipes are too many dollars.
I pulled the baffles out of the L.A. Chopper pipes and re-wrapped them, but that was a waste of time.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The stock pipes on my '08 C50 are just fine. Not uncomfortably loud for me, but attention-getting just the same. A couple of weeks ago my best friend called me on a Friday night and said he was going to haul an old couch from his house to his daughter's; could I come over about 10 AM and help him load it up? Sure.

Next morning, I turned on to his street about 30 minutes early, and when I got to his house he was already standing out in the yard.

"Are you that eager to get to work?"

"Nope," he said, "but I heard you coming!":grin:

·
12,808 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a pair of nice, used, factory stock Harley mufflers and putting them on my Yamaha. I bought it with L.A. Chopper pipes on it and it's too loud!
Sounds good but it's annoying on a long trip.
Even used Yamaha RSTD pipes are too many dollars.
I pulled the baffles out of the L.A. Chopper pipes and re-wrapped them, but that was a waste of time.
I have a set of the slashed Road King mufflers in the shed. I tried them for a year and then went to the Monster Ovals by Vance and Hines. Either set requires an adapter to fit our pipe size and a custom made mounting brackets. You can get the info on size from the Venture or the RSTD website.

Don't know which site you go to for the bike but there is one with a lot of people that know the bike inside and out. PM me if you would like the link.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Mine scares the grandkids. I really like a low, throaty growl, what I've got is almost like shotguns.
I may pull the baffles our again and wrap them with something else, maybe, duct tape!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Now that you mention it, I remember reading something about the adapters.
The pipes I have look real nice, from the sides. I don't think the previous owner worried too much about what you can't see.
So if I tried some other pipes, I'd cut the mounting brackets off these chopper pipes.

·
12,808 Posts
With the monster ovals, it has a nice rumble going down the road, but you can hear yourself think. Smack the gas and it snarls. It does bark when you let off of it. A few pops as you slow down. You really want to open it up? Get a Dyna 3000 ignition module and K&N Air filters. Gives you a 7500 red line and around 100 HP and 97 torque. It has 5 pre-programed tunes. I used the one it came with.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I think I'll keep it stock and it just dawned on me, I've got a couple mufflers out in the shop. I'm not sure if they're off a Harley or a Goldwing, I'll have to look.

Once I get it all times up and ready to go somewheres, I've got a Reckless fairing with a radio mounted in it. Got to figure out how to get the radio working. Got it off Craigslist last fall.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts