Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What socket set will be my best choice (not brand, but sizes) for my 2004 HD Fatboy? I wanna check my Tranny fluid and can't yet. Gotta swap out my Metric stuff for Standard. Thought of putting a 3/8's Drive Ratchet head into the Tranny slot to open it, but would prefer to use the right size socket.

Also.........what tips can you give me about knowing the fluid level in the front and rear Master Brake Cylinder Reservoirs? I'm thinking there is a silver disc in the window, that......once exposed, tells me I need to add fluid, right? All I see in those windows now, is what APPEARS to be the brown brake fluid.

-Soupy

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Are too many Options for me to suggest Just one Tool Kit as since been a while since done any HD wrenching on a Regular Basis Might forget a few But Definitely Get a Set of SAE Allens from 1/8" to 3/8" in 16's .. Also will Need a Set of Torx that Include a 27T Many Make the Mistake of using a 25T instead of a 27T and end up with Stripped Threads .. You will find some thing on a HD that do use Metrics such as your Showa Forks and your Battery (10MM) .. Also Be Sure get the Right Brake Fluid .. Pretty Sure Your 04 will use DOT5 and if Mix DOT4 with DOT5 Will have Serious Problems ..

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gator.

-Soupy

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Brake fluid should be clear, not brown. Time for a flush. I posted a how-to in the front page articles section a few years ago.

I've been happy with Craftsman tools. Good value for the money. A small standard set of sockets and wrenches should get you started. You may also need a good selection of Torx sockets and Allen sockets.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
I think it's ironic that the de-facto standard is metric, and what we think of as 'standard' is anything but. Remember the Whitworth standard?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts
I think it's ironic that the de-facto standard is metric, and what we think of as 'standard' is ,but. Remember the Whitworth standard?
Had to look it up. Is it not used anymore, replaced by UTP (had to look that up as well) and metric?

That brought me to the Pipe world which has it's own thread standard(s).

Whew!

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
As a draftsman I hated the fact that we had to do duel dimensioning. I spent half my time lettering instead of drawing. And by now we were supposed to be full metric anyway and yet, here we are still. :thumbsdown:

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
And by now we were supposed to be full metric anyway and yet, here we are still. :thumbsdown:
The conversion process became a mess on farm equipment that had both metric and SAE fasteners. A lot of farmers/operators would put metric bolts into SAE threaded holes or vice versa, damaging the threaded holes. Repaired more than I care to remember.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Personally think is kind of stupid for HD to cling to SAE .. Victory and Indian both accepted that Metrics is the way of life to Wrenching on Motorcycles ..

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
The conversion process became a mess on farm equipment that had both metric and SAE fasteners. A lot of farmers/operators would put metric bolts into SAE threaded holes or vice versa, damaging the threaded holes. Repaired more than I care to remember.
Yep, so now we just jam anything in there and weld it.:D

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Personally think is kind of stupid for HD to cling to SAE .. Victory and Indian both accepted that Metrics is the way of life to Wrenching on Motorcycles ..
Can you imagine the cost if they switched though? Entire factories would have to do major re-tooling, thousands of parts would have to be re-designed, service manuals re-written and printed, dealerships would be spending tens of thousands on new factory tools, and so on and so forth, and all of that cost would be passed on to the consumer. I think it would be foolish for them to completely switch over.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts