Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a brand new rider with nothing more than a bit of dirt bike experience under my belt. I will be taking the MSF class in a couple weeks and im counting down the days until I get my first bike. I have pretty much decided on the SV650 but I much prefer the looks of the SV650S. I will be mostly driving this to and from school and work so not more than about 45 minutes a day with some longer rides on weekends with my buddies. I am worried about the lower riding position on the sport model and I was wondering what you guys think about the two bikes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind guys I went to a dealer and looked at both and I am sold on the SV650s. Hopefully I will buy mine in the next few weeks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well I'm going to reply anyway so deal with it. :)

I was having this same struggle before sitting on the bikes. I was worried about the riding position as well but I was actually surprised to find that when sitting on the sv650, i felt too "upright" much like I did when sitting on cruisers (although obviously not to the same degree). When sitting on the 650s, it just felt more natural, more in control.

It may be vain but the dual headlight and front fender look was a big selling point for me. I've never been a fan of the one round headlight look.

Glad you got it figured out. You've made a great choice and I can't praise you enough for getting that MSF course in. It's well worth your money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much Xian. Im glad someone else is as vain as I am :) I am definitely willing to pay a couple hundred bucks for the nice fairing look. I cannot wait to buy this bike. Any tips you can give as far as driving would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well I just started myself and I dropped it two days in so I'm not the best person to ask but I will tell you this much ...

1) Look where you want to go. Turn your head and look into your turns, even (and especially) u-turns. You'll be surprised how much easier and more confident your turns will be.

2) Always be aware. Don't ride and just fall asleep and zone out. Cars, bikes, debris, oil, sand, and everything else can come out of anywhere at any time.

These are things you'll be taught in the course. It'll be pounded into your head and for good reason. As far as the bike goes ... mine's an '03 and she's treating me very well. Comfortable to sit on, plenty of power for the freeways but not so much torque that I feel unsteady at all. It's a good choice. I don't know if you're planning on buying new but you might want to start with a used one just because odds are, you will drop it at some point. No use paying for a brand new bike if it's got a cracked fairing the second day you have it.

Oh ... find and buy Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. Great book that teaches you a lot about the physics of two wheeled machines as well as a ton of safety considerations.

Lastly, I researched the internet like a mother ***** ... watched every video I could whether it be instructional, videos of crashes, etc. I tried to learn something from every one of them. I also read up on terminology so I knew what the hell people were saying to me. :)

You've found a great board though. You'll learn a lot from the guys and girls here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks a lot. Ya I will def be buying used. As much as I would like to buy a brand new one I really dont have 8500 bucks to spend on a bike that I will end up scratching all to **** when I drop it. Trust me I have been doing nothing but research for about two months

·
Registered
97 Posts
Excellent. Let me know when you get one and get a few miles under ya ... maybe I'll head down to that dirt ball you live in and we can ride around a bit. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dirt ball? Ok Im not gonna lie I like Phoenix better. Im only here cuz I wanted an education that aint available in that pathetic excuse for a city your living in

1 - 10 of 10 Posts