Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a TS125 as my first bike to learn on and learn how to maintain. When I got it, it would run fine and idle fine, but yesterday it started idling wierd. It will start fine, but it idles super low, like maybe 700 rpm, and sounds like it is going to die. It wont die if it sits there, but if I rock the bike back and forth it dies right away. Since this has happened, it also will die while im driving it, if i pull in the clutch and dont have the throttle all the way on. Any body know what could be causing this? I tried adjusting the idle screw and its as high as it can go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled it out and checked. It seems to be pretty new, but there was a tiny amount of oil on the threads, unless that was just anti-sieze stuff from whovever put the spark plug in last. Heres a picture:

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Black is an indicator that the fuel mixture is too rich. It could be an adjustment, or an air mixture passage is clogged up with contamination.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. There is a screw on my carburetor near the air intake that I wasn't sure what it was. I will check to see if it is a mixture screw tomorrow if it stops raining.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I'm assuming that you have checked the obvious stuff that would restrict air flow like a clogged air filter or sticking choke.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I checked the air filter and cleaned it, but I didn't know the choke could stick and didn't check that (Im extremely new to working on small engines). How would I go about checking that and fixing it? It seems to switch back and forth fine, but would it not be fully engaging/disengaging the choke if it was stuck?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts