Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a '95 Suzuki Savage 650. Whenever the bike is at idle or low end RPM's, I can hear a ticking noise coming from the top end of the engine.
Yesterday I adjusted my valves for the first time, and it's been quite a while that I'm aware of that they were touched.

Slapped the tank loosely back on for a test; either worse :frown: or same as before.

The rockers seemed to be unusually tight before adjusting. I've also messed with the decomp cable after checking my Clymers.

Any tips or suggestions?
It's been embarrassing for quite a while now. :frown::frown::frown:

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
Isolate the source with a stethoscope; a length of fuel line with a bolt in one end as a probe will do. This will determine, within an inch or two, just where the sound is created. Also, check to see if it is actually the header gasket, or a loose spark plug; a tiny leak at either will sound like ticking.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I don't know if this will work as a stethoscope for this project. Most people don't have these. But most people have screwdrivers hanging around. Place the tip on the motor (not on anything moving, obviously) and your ear on the handle. Once you find the loudest noise, you may well pinpoint where its coming from. It's a trick my mechanic taught me with alternators. How to determine if it's the alt or the battery. If you put the screwdriver on the alternator (away from moving parts) you'll hear if the bearing have gone bad or not.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I don't know if this will work as a stethoscope for this project. Most people don't have these. But most people have screwdrivers hanging around. Place the tip on the motor (not on anything moving, obviously) and your ear on the handle. Once you find the loudest noise, you may well pinpoint where its coming from. It's a trick my mechanic taught me with alternators. How to determine if it's the alt or the battery. If you put the screwdriver on the alternator (away from moving parts) you'll hear if the bearing have gone bad or not.
That's a great way to do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've just tried out your suggestions, using a flathead as a stethoscope. I couldn't point out any abnormalities but a higher pitched tone near the top of the engine. I'll try and post a video in a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
Would a header leak really make a ticking noise?
A small leak can sound like hitting it with a small hammer - a metallic rapping. Use a hose like a stethoscope, one end in your ear, the other around the seal, to see if it is louder there. Or, just clean the joint and install a new seal. I've found two gaskets, instead of one, several times, so cleaning it out can be important.

·
Registered
11 Posts
JH, i know this thread is old. i have another suggestion. Your bike is a little older.
All OHC engines have a valve tappet adjustment with the locknut. The tappet end that rides the valve wears down. It can make ticking noises. Remove the noisy adjuster you suspect to get a look at the wear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts