Motorcycle Forum banner
641 - 660 of 700 Posts
Jetting for those pods are bad enough, I hope they are quality pods, or you may never get it running quite right. What stage jet kit are you running? Refitting the R/R with a Series R/R will eliminate all of the inherent electrical problems the GS series has. Replacing the harness was a bonus. I have been running a Compufire Series R/R for close to 11 years now on my '78 GS1000E with no problems whatsoever. It also made it possible to run a 25W Cree Led headlight without frying my stator as it would with any of the shunt type R/R's that get confused if they don't see the expected load they are designed for and go into overtime overcharging. The SH-775 is a lot cheaper and does a fine job but is a lot larger. The Compufire fits nicely under the electrical side cover.

Jetting for those pods are bad enough, I hope they are quality pods, or you may never get it running quite right. What stage jet kit are you running? Refitting the R/R with a Series R/R will eliminate all of the inherent electrical problems the GS series has. Replacing the harness was a bonus. I have been running a Compufire Series R/R for close to 11 years now on my '78 GS1000E with no problems whatsoever. It also made it possible to run a 25W Cree Led headlight without frying my stator as it would with any of the shunt type R/R's that get confused if they don't see the expected load they are designed for and go into overtime overcharging. The SH-775 is a lot cheaper and does a fine job but is a lot larger. The Compufire fits nicely under the electrical side cover.
A nightmare but I got it. It runs awesome for now. And I did re jet the carbs. I was actually surprised at how good it runs. It fired right up once I got it put all together. That's kinda a big deal lol that just doesn't happen ever lol

It can be done. I am more familiar with the VM carburetors on my bike. Lots of people over on gsresources have done it with CV carburetors. I am running a stage 3 jet kit with K&N pods and Delkevic 4-1 exhaust.

It can be done. I am more familiar with the VM carburetors on my bike. Lots of people over on gsresources have done it with CV carburetors. I am running a stage 3 jet kit with K&N pods and Delkevic 4-1 exhaust.
Sorry but No, it can't be done well, it is not the same problem with VM carbs, VM is not a Constant Velocity vacuum operated carburetor. You have one slide in your VM carburetor that directly opens the throttle, a CV carburetor has a butterfly valve that you manually open plus a round slide that is lifted by the engines intake vacuum. All those people are doing is making a ton more intake noise and consuming more fuel then needed, put those engines on a dyno and you will see the performance issues.

Pods directly on a bank of CV carbs does Not function as well as a bank of CV carbs that are connected to velocity stack shaped inlets. Look at the shape of the parts that were removed.

... you can put an oiled foam filter over a bank of velocity stacks. That can be made to work and That is what you will see on race bikes that run CV carbs.

"Well" is subjective, CV carburetors will never respond as quickly as the VM series and the more modern equivalent. VM's require tuning for altitude changes, where as the CV's are self adjusting. I prefer fuel injection but the electrical system on the old bikes will not support it. My GS1000 is becoming an occasional use bike, I much prefer my CB500X With a SS Delkevic 18" slip on as a daily rider. It is quieter than stock allows me to carry dry bags on the right side without burning a hole in them and is more responsive than with the stock muffler. Sounds better too.

641 - 660 of 700 Posts