Motorcycle Forum banner

Suzuki pics thread!

191K views 699 replies 266 participants last post by  Doofus600 
You are going to need a walk through on the charging system. I have a line on reasonable parts and have all the tools to adjust and sync the carburetors. I was Navy on a destroyer in Vietnam stationed at D&S Piers Norfolk.

There is a dedicated GS site that I'll introduce you to later. The GS series was the first Japanese bike of the era that handled well. Heavy by today's standards, but can be made into an everyday rider fairly easily. The electrics sucked but there is a Series R/R conversion that pretty much cures that and allows for LED conversions without frying the stator. I'm running a Custom sports touring '78 GS1000E, 4-1 Vance and Hines pipes, Pods and stage-3 jet kit getting 44MPG on regular pump gas. It would have been the hot rod back in the day but will run with the 600 and 750's today without having to paddle through the gears to make power. The weight is still a disadvantage but makes for a solid comfortable riding platform. It's hard to beat an air cooled roller bearing motor.

How long did you say it has been sitting? It's going to need a total carburetor strip down off of the rack, 24hr. soak in carburetor dip, O-rings and gaskets replaced, not always but mostly always carburetor boots to the head replaced along with their O-rings, carburetor to air box boots checked for air leaks and air box sealed where it needs it. A valve check and adjustment is necessary before you start. They adjust with shims and get tighter as they wear. Z1 Enterprises is a good place for gaskets, valve cover and carburetor, and valve shims. Robert Barr sells the proper O-ring kits for about $25.00. http://www.cycleorings.com/

Google Photos is a good free source. You can share a link without taking up server resources or probably drag the Photo onto your post but that will use up server resources.

Jetting for those pods are bad enough, I hope they are quality pods, or you may never get it running quite right. What stage jet kit are you running? Refitting the R/R with a Series R/R will eliminate all of the inherent electrical problems the GS series has. Replacing the harness was a bonus. I have been running a Compufire Series R/R for close to 11 years now on my '78 GS1000E with no problems whatsoever. It also made it possible to run a 25W Cree Led headlight without frying my stator as it would with any of the shunt type R/R's that get confused if they don't see the expected load they are designed for and go into overtime overcharging. The SH-775 is a lot cheaper and does a fine job but is a lot larger. The Compufire fits nicely under the electrical side cover.

It can be done. I am more familiar with the VM carburetors on my bike. Lots of people over on gsresources have done it with CV carburetors. I am running a stage 3 jet kit with K&N pods and Delkevic 4-1 exhaust.

"Well" is subjective, CV carburetors will never respond as quickly as the VM series and the more modern equivalent. VM's require tuning for altitude changes, where as the CV's are self adjusting. I prefer fuel injection but the electrical system on the old bikes will not support it. My GS1000 is becoming an occasional use bike, I much prefer my CB500X With a SS Delkevic 18" slip on as a daily rider. It is quieter than stock allows me to carry dry bags on the right side without burning a hole in them and is more responsive than with the stock muffler. Sounds better too.

I am not arguing Velocity stacks, they are more efficient. CV carburetors have an inherent lag and are more suited for general riding. You can sharpen them up with velocity stacks but you can never take the diaphragm lag out of them. Racing is another thing altogether. Flat slides would probably be a better choice if you are made of money and want to run a naturally asperated carburetor.