Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get my first bike.. Found this one on craigslist.
Looks a little rough, but not bad. I kind of like how it looks. Needs front break windsheild glass, and a "clutch adjustment" Would a clutch adjustment be hard..?

Anyway, he is unsure of the miles but says engine was rebuilt by previous owner... no paperwork.
Yes that does worry me, but the price is what gets me. It's advertised for 900 but I got him down to 700$. 700$ for a 600cc katana sounds like a great deal to me, even with the problems. Has aftermarket muffler and a few other minor parts.
What do you guys think of this? Good deal for 700$? Good first bike? I tried to post a link but I guess im not high enough level..

I will describe it more due to lack of link
Is black, with some purple parts on it
looks a little worn, bot bad
says it runs and drives good besides breaks.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
This bike is not a good first bike. It is more bike than you want to start with; l suggest a 250 or 500 Ninja, or a Suzuki GS500, something along those lines.

Aside from that, your description raised several red flags for me. Unknown miles? No thanks. I am not interested. Just needs brakes and a clutch adjustment, maybe this, maybe that. Just being honest, the bike sounds beat and l think it is a parts bike that could be brought back to life by a mechanic with experience. I believe that if you buy that bike it will end up costing you more to get it into sound running order than your initial investment, and then you still don't have the kind of bike you should be buying for your 1st bike. Just my opinion.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
A clutch adjustment takes about 30 seconds at most. If the owner knew the first thing about what he was doing, it would already be done. My first thought is there is more to the problem than he is letting on.

$700 may be really cheap for a motorcycle, but it's expensive for something that will never leave the garage because it won't run correctly.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,887 Posts
When someone wants to sell a Bike that just needs a simple Clutch Adjustment .. Totally Scares me right off .. If I was buying a make I am familiar with would just say let me adjust the clutch and see if that really solves the issue ..

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
I had a Katana 600 as my 3rd bike. It is NOT what you want for a first bike. If nothing else, the weight alone makes it unsuitable for a new rider.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
No paper means only one thing to me. Time to look for another bike.

Clutch adjustment is a trivial exercise. If that is all that is wrong with the clutch he should just do it before offering the bike for sale. I can adjust almost any mechanical clutch in less than 10 minutes if you let me look over the bike for the adjustment location before you start the timer, and I am far from a competent mechanic. It is just that simple to do. My bet is the clutch is shot and that is his excuse for it not working right.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Cheap bikes are often enticing, because you look at them and think, "Wow! If l just did this and this and this, then l would have a bike that is worth this much for only this much." That is why l always tend to think there is more to the story.

For starters, sellers always like to say things like, "The odometer just quit working last month," "Lost paperwork," "No title but it will be easy to get." The truth is this...

If my speedo/odo cable stopped working the first thing l would do is take it straight to the first shop l could find that could fix it. My word means nothing when it comes to selling my bike if the odo is out.

If the paperwork was simply lost, then someone could call the appropriate shop and get a new printout of the work that was done. Well the previous owner...yeah, yeah, we always blame it on the previous owner. Why is it that we are always stupid enough to buy from jackass sellers? The guy l want to buy from doesn't try to justify problems at all, but merely states that they exist. "Needs clutch work" would be much more comforting to me than, "Just needs a clutch adjustment." What all else has been neglected if you cannot figure out how to adjust the clutch?

The lost title might be easy to get, but the seller doesn't want to wait, or pay for the transfer. This is a red flag to me because the seller doesn't want to own any expenses...so how much neglect has the bike had because this guy didn't want to spend any money on it?

In great condition this Katana is only worth $1500 anyway...so how much are all these headaches worth?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts