Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a used Suzuki katana GSX750 1994. When I tried it, it was running smoothly and idling smooth too. But when I left with it after the paperwork was done, it started having problems:

1- When I'm stopped at a red light the RPM does down and the motorcycle stops. I have to restart it and keep giving it gas if I don't want it to die at stops and red lights.
2-Also, the fuel tank, which was full when I bought the bike, emptied in less than 100km (usually supposed to last around 300km or more). There is no leak as the needle does not move over night and there is no spill on the ground.

I spoke with the previous owner and he told me the last time he used it he filled it with premium fuel at a small gas station outside town. I rode it and nearly emptied the tank. I changed the 4 spark plugs, then I filled it with normal fuel at a busy gas station in town. I rode in town for about 30 min. The problem is still there.

What do you advice me to do ? I have my bike's repair manual, but I would like to know if there are easy fixes or products I can try before going on and cleaning the carburetor. Do you think it coult have been bad gas ? If so, would it be gone now with the riding I did ? I am not feeling safe with emptying the gas tank (I don't know what to do with the gas after that).

Thanks for helping !

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Let's see - poor fuel mileage, idling to a stall. Sounds like over-filled carbs, or the 'choke' (enricher for starting) left on. What did the plugs look like? And, what do the new ones look like now?
It could be bad gas causing the stall. Try draining the carbs into a catch container, and look for anything that is not gas, like water drops.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies !
I’ll look into it tuesday evening and come back with some news.
Attached is a picture of the old spark plugs. Only one was slightly greasy and I joined a picture of the “hole” in which it was located. Looks like something might be slightly leaking from there. What do you think ?
Thanks ?

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts