Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and gals. Newbie to this, but thought I'd see if anybody has any advice. I have a 99 Intruder, only 17K miles. Used fairly regularly (once or twice a week) but seldom goes very far. Had some issues when I bought it, as it had been sitting unused for a while. Custom geezer I got it from had rebuilt both carbs (so he said) but it spluttered and stalled for a long time. I finally got the nerve to try some maintenance myself (not experienced at this) and managed to clean both air filters. Since then she ran like a dream. Changed the oil last week, and gave it the longest run since I've had it (still only 100 miles) It was magnificent.
Yesterday the bike felt fine when I set off, but I noticed the power felt like it was draining at low revs, and when I had to come down to first or second it stalled. It wasn't the kind of stall I'm very used to - the power just slowly ebbed, and it stalled almost in slow motion. It now does this all the time (unless you're on the power, then there's no problem) The power even feels like it's draining in higher gears if you're off the gas.
Electrics seem fine, she still starts (with revs) and will restart after the stall (occasionally with a loud backfire), but the low revs are labored and die a slow death.
The idle adjuster is turned all the way up, and I don't have the know how (or the money) to get it looked at. Apologies for the essay. Wondered if any of you serious bikers have any suggestions? Much appreciated - Dawbo.

·
Premium Member
5,517 Posts
Lots of possibilities, from a failing fuel pump, blocked gas tank vent, or pinched fuel line, to the other side, getting so rich it bogs down.

What about the choke, have you tried pulling it out when it starts slowing down? If it gets better, something is reducing fuel flow, likely junk build up in the carbs from sitting. In that case, a fuel system cleaner, like Seafoam, might help. If it's really bad, they may need a proper cleaning, which means taking them off.

If the choke kills it, though, it's probably the opposite, and the carbs are over filling. Again, junk from sitting could be making the valves stick, and that fuel system cleaner could take care of it.

Take the spark plugs out and have a look; let us know what they look like by color, and any coating on the center insulator.

You didn't mention temperature - does it seem to get overly hot? The 1400 is oil-cooled, and if there's a problem with the oil cooler, it could get too hot, which would make it behave that way, too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much guys - I appreciate you taking the time to help out. I will get my hands on some tools (came with a custom seat, so seat back tool kit was missing) and see what I can find.
I'll let you know.
Thanks again.
Dawbo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 1995 intruder 1400 that was stored for three years. i cleaned out gas tank took carberators off cleaned and reinstalled bike has fire but just roll over. checked fuel pump it wasnt working ran positive to and it worked cleaned out put back on now gas still not getting to pump please help.

·
Premium Member
5,517 Posts
i have a 1995 intruder 1400 that was stored for three years. i cleaned out gas tank took carberators off cleaned and reinstalled bike has fire but just roll over. checked fuel pump it wasnt working ran positive to and it worked cleaned out put back on now gas still not getting to pump please help.
The 1400 has a built-in prime function; if you push the starter button without the clutch, and the clutch safety switch has not been bypassed, the fuel pump runs (and nothing else). If that runs the pump, then if you pull the clutch in and start it, there is a signal from a coil to the fuel pump relay, which keeps the pump running as needed.

Send a PM with your email address, and I can send the fuel pump pages and wiring diagram page from the service manual, if that will help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts