Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New here, thanks for having me. I recently bought a suzuki GZ250 (2005) from a guy who owns a riding school. A few scratches here and there but I tested it twice and it ran fine both times. Let it sit in my garage for a couple days, wouldn't start last night. Sounded like it was having trouble turning over a few times, then the fourth press of the engine start button, no noise (light clicking but no sound from the engine). Lights all still work, but horn all of a sudden does not. When I press the horn the lights flicker but I get no sound. Here's where my being new comes into play. I think I may have left the choke down for the two days between when I bought it and when I tried to start it again. I bought I spark plug socket and will try to pull it out tonight. I also bought a battery charger, though I am having a hard time finding a place to charge since I live in a condo building (on the marble floor of the lobby maybe?). And to add to the issues, this morning when I went to look at it, I noticed a black tar on the left side of the engine.

Please let me know if anyone has had similar problems. I would really like to get this thing running shortly.

·
Ace Tuner
2,568 Posts
Classic dead battery symptom.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Yes, the battery is the first suspect.

Be very careful not to use a standard car battery charger with motorcycle batteries. Most motorcycle batteries only take a fraction of the amperage a car charger will put out. It's best to charge a motorcycle battery at about 2 amps overnight. A motorcycle battery tender will automatically stop charging once the battery is full. This is also recommended to use if the motorcycle sits in storage for any length of time.

It would be a good idea to get a voltmeter/multimeter to help track down issues sometime in the near future.

If the problem persists after charging, have the battery load tested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! You've been really helpful. I appreciate how knowledgeable people on these forums are. One quick question, would it be bad to charge the battery in my apartment?

·
American Legion Rider
22,097 Posts
I would suggest you check to see if your charging system is operating correctly too. No need to put a new battery in just have it discharged again.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
It should be charged in a ventilated area away from heat sources or flame. A small amount of gas may be vented from a battery. If it's in an open room and you don't put a lighter near it, it should be ok.

·
Registered
562 Posts
leaving the choke for a couple days won't affect the battery. is the black tar on the engine near the carb or near the battery vent?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys were right! Charged it and it started right up. Had to leave the choke all the way down for about five minutes before I could put it in first gear without stalling. My next issue to solve is the burning oil smell, light smoke, backfiring when it turns off and weird dripping/clicking sound from the oil filters after it's off. Lol. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
leaving the choke for a couple days won't affect the battery. is the black tar on the engine near the carb or near the battery vent?
Correction, it's coming out of the cylinder head. I would post pics but I'm too new.

You can check pics out here if it will let me post the link:
www[dot]flickr[dot]com/photos/[email protected]/shares/7w3r07

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Well burning oil smell + smoke = burning oil. Considering you've got "black tar" coming from the cylinder head, I'd be looking at a possible blown head gasket.

Dripping/clicking sound when the bike is shut off is normal. All my bikes have done it. It is a result of heat expansion and the resulting shrinking as the metal cools off.

As far as the backfiring, has the exhaust been modified at all?

How much did you pay for the bike? I hope you got a heck of a deal considering the bike may have a blown head gasket...

·
Ace Tuner
2,568 Posts
Is the smoke from the exhaust white? If so, that would indicate burning oil in the combustion chamber.
If the smoke is black that could be a carburetor or ignition problem.
Needing to use the choke for 5 minuets and backfiring leads me to believe you may have some plugged passages in the carb.

The GZ250 has "o" rings on the tappet covers that sometimes leak. Maybe you will get lucky and find the black stuff came from something simple like that.
Oil will travel all over the place from air flow around the motor so you have to clean it good and watch for the first sign of leakage to find the source.

Or like primalmu said, I hope you got a heck of a deal considering the bike may have a blown head gasket...
If it's putting a cloud of white smoke out the pipe, bad news...........

·
Ace Tuner
2,568 Posts
The GZ250 has "o" rings on the tappet covers that sometimes leak. Maybe you will get lucky and find the black stuff came from something simple like that.
I misspoke.
I should have said: "O" ring type gaskets on the tappet covers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well burning oil smell + smoke = burning oil. Considering you've got "black tar" coming from the cylinder head, I'd be looking at a possible blown head gasket.

Dripping/clicking sound when the bike is shut off is normal. All my bikes have done it. It is a result of heat expansion and the resulting shrinking as the metal cools off.

As far as the backfiring, has the exhaust been modified at all?

How much did you pay for the bike? I hope you got a heck of a deal considering the bike may have a blown head gasket...
Ha, the bike was basically free. And my hope in taking it off the seller's hands was to familiarize myself with every inch of the motorcycle, even if that means putting $$ into it.

The exhaust has not been modified at all. The light white smoke is coming from the front of the bike and smells like burning oil. Before I do anything I'm going to take your advice and clean the bike and see where the oil is coming from exactly. It came with some oil marks on it and I shouldve cleaned it first thing. Perhaps its just old, uncleaned oil that is heating with the normal heat of the bike (optimistic). Then I'll explore the "O" rings.

If the head gasket is blown, am I looking at needing to replace the head cylinder entirely?

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
You can tell if the head gasket is intact with a compression test. The testers are fairly inexpensive, or can be borrowed from an auto parts store.

·
Ace Tuner
2,568 Posts
Ha, the bike was basically free. And my hope in taking it off the seller's hands was to familiarize myself with every inch of the motorcycle, even if that means putting $$ into it.

The exhaust has not been modified at all. The light white smoke is coming from the front of the bike and smells like burning oil. Before I do anything I'm going to take your advice and clean the bike and see where the oil is coming from exactly. It came with some oil marks on it and I shouldve cleaned it first thing. Perhaps its just old, uncleaned oil that is heating with the normal heat of the bike (optimistic). Then I'll explore the "O" rings.

If the head gasket is blown, am I looking at needing to replace the head cylinder entirely?

Thanks for the help guys!
That's most likely nothing more than an oil leak. After you clean it up, you can find it and go from there.
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's most likely nothing more than an oil leak. After you clean it up, you can find it and go from there.
Let us know how it goes.
After cleaning the bike and taking it for a 20min or so spin I was able to figure out exactly where the link was. I captured a really good picture of it right after turning off the bike

http://flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/uY9Fba

(still too new to post pics directly to here, sorry)

If you guys have any suggestions please let me know. I am hoping the gasket is not completely gone. I read on another site that there is frequently a drip here from cosmoline? and that over time it goes away (I'm doubting that).

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
It looks like the leak may be coming from the valve cover gasket in the front of the engine above the exhaust manifolds. It's really hard to tell, but it does look wet there.

It could be collecting behind the exhaust because that's where wind and gravity leaves it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts