Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my first post, although been following the site for a while!

I have recently purchased a 1998 GSXF, great bike, but the idle is not that consistent. I am not sure as this is my first big bike if these are supposed to idle like this? hovering between 1.2 and 1.5 rpm.

So i thought i would get some sea foam in. Took the entire fairings off, but couldn't find the vacuum hose to pour the sea foam into.. could anyone help on this?

Thanks!

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Sea foam is just added to the fuel tank. Read the instructions on the bottle for the proper amount per gallon of fuel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It can also be added directly into carbs / vacuum hose. Many people do this there are quite a few people on youtube with instructions for their bikes.

The directions say so too on the bottle...

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
i'd be checking for vacuum leaks....and preparing to pull the carbs off to have them rebuilt by a professional motorcycle mechanic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise.. how would I check for leaks? Should I be checking for leaks at this point?

Any ideas where I would find the tube i'm looking for?

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
One way to check for leaks is with a propane torch, unlit. With the engine idling, point the torch around the carbs and intake boots; if the idle changes, you're pointing at a leak. Do this outside, of course.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok will try that. I did try spraying carb cleaner all over the carbs and didn't get any idle change though, hence why i think just a good clean out of the air intake and the whole system by pouring sea foam into this pipe which i still am not so sure where it is lol! :)

firstly, should my bike idle like this? its a dang old bike, and my friend has just told me his 2007 gxsr does the same thing, of which he thinks is normal too? dont want to spend time foolishly looking for something that isnt even a problem. I can post a video if it helps..

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
If the carbs are not well synchronized, the idle can 'hunt'; something to test, anyway.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
ok will try that. I did try spraying carb cleaner all over the carbs and didn't get any idle change though, hence why i think just a good clean out of the air intake and the whole system by pouring sea foam into this pipe which i still am not so sure where it is lol! :)

firstly, should my bike idle like this? its a dang old bike, and my friend has just told me his 2007 gxsr does the same thing, of which he thinks is normal too? dont want to spend time foolishly looking for something that isnt even a problem. I can post a video if it helps..
I am not 100% positive about this, but l believe that your friend's 2007 Gixxer is fuel injected, while your bike is carbeurated, so this would be coincidental.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep you are right, his bike is fuel injected.

I got to the vacuum hose in the end and got some Sea Foam down there (having already filled tank up with correct mix of petrol and Sea Foam). Ran it today, its definitely better, and some better response and what feels like more power (don't know if its just me believing it)...

It's still hunting though.

Ive noticed that when i start in morning (its around 2 degrees here in the UK), i need to use the choke on half open to start it. At this point, the idle is lovely and consistent... something which changes back to hunting when choke is full off.. would this give any clues?

before i invest in carb sync tools, could someone suggest how i could test it before i get to that stage? If there is any way?

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts