Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have been reading posts on this site regularly and have found the advice very helpful. I have got a problem with my 1983 GSX250 twin which I am turning into a café racer inspired by similar conversions I saw on this site.

My problem is, it is hard to start cold, its fine after the initial start up. After riding for a few minutes, it loses power and dies. Left to stand for a couple of minutes it will restart, but is very doughy. I feel the problem is heat related.

I have noticed that the left hand coil gets quite hot if the ignition is left on, the right hand does not.

I was riding the bike with the side covers of and noticed the rectifier/regulator also got very hot.

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but when the headlights are turned on the idle drops significantly, the bike will stall if the revs are not raised.

Hope someone can help.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Welcome Brian! It sounds like quite an issue!

It could be a lot of things, but what immediately concerns me is your idle dropping when the headlight turns on. Pull some battery voltages: engine off, engine idle, and engine revved.

Beyond that, it could be a lot of things, especially on a bike that age. Carbs, ignition..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

Hi, thanks for your response. I have been going over the bike to try to isolate any issues. I have the seat and tank removed. I have just fitted a separate gravity feed fuel supply to the carbies so I could start it. It started first hit. I think my hard starting maybe vacuum to petcock or petcock related, would you agree?

It started and ran well and I was able to do some electrical tests.

Battery pre startup - 12.4v
While engine cranking - 9.4
at 3000rpm 13.4v
With headlight on - 14.6v

Neither coils became warm.
Regulator/regulator even in the short time became warm, is this normal?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Regulator/Rectifiers do give off heat when doing their job, which is why most have cooling fins cast into their bodies. Some heat is normal here.

I think you can bypass your vacuum operated petcock in the PRI setting, have you tried riding it like that? If you have it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the advice, I have put the battery on charge. I will pull the petcock off and clean it. I will let you know how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts