Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

There is some problem with my motorcycle.
When I start motorcycle, it starts very good, and instantly go to 3-4k rpm with choke on. When I apply some throttle, it sounds a bit wierd and can't go over 4k rpm..

When I put choke off, it runs with 1k rpm, but slowly starts to stall and then stalls. I have to repeat turning on for about 10 times and then everything is OK, it doesn't stall anymore and I can ride.

Usually this happens if I leave my motorcycle turned off for about 1 week..

Is it carb problems?

Some more details: Mileage 14k, oil,gasoline,air filters new, spark plugs(1yr), carbs synched 2-3 years ago.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
You don't really have a choke, you have a starting enrichment valve; this provides extra fuel/air from the slow jet system to help start a cold engine. You can ease the control in, a bit at a time, to keep the rpm in check, until it is warm enough to ride off. BTW, the enrichment only works when the throttle is closed, or nearly so; that's why it leans out when you open the throttle before the engine is warm enough to run on the leaner mix. The behavior is that of a really cold-hearted engine, and may indicate you have some gummed up jets; run a strong mix of a good fuel system cleaner (Seafoam, Techron, etc.) through a tank or two, and it may improve some, but you may still need some enrichment for the first couple miles on a cold start. That is how my VS800 behaves.

BTW, if you add your general location to your profile, you may find a member willing to come by and help you out, if needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts