Motorcycle Forum banner

Suzuki GS850 Restoration

20K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  McSqueelz 
#1 ·
So i just picked of a Suzuki GS850 shaft driven, its a one owner, hasn't been ridden in 30 years (tags expired Aug 84) and been sitting in a bar with only 12k on it. I saw the potential it had, and for $500 i couldn't resist. Now i for the year i believe is a 80 or 81 but i will know Monday when i get the title.

So now i am going to go through and restore it, not complete 100% factory original but close to it. Now i am an industrial equipment mechanic and auto mechanic but this will be new in that i have not worked on motorcycles except for some carb cleaning on dirtbikes

So first off what is the best thing for a service manual? Should i go with the factory service manual or an aftermarket one and where is the best place to get it.

Next is a list of maintenance and repairs i plan on doing to bring this bike back to snuff. As i complete them i will update this by changing the color to red. Anything you guys think i should do as well please just say so.

1.Front fork oil seals and oil
2.Rear shocks oil seals and oil
3. Clean all 4 carbs completely
4. New air filters
5. New brake lines
6. Rebuild brake calipers (leaking fluid bad)
7. New tires
8. New engine oil and filter
9. New battery
10. New Spark plugs
11. New bulbs

See less See more
#3 ·
going on what I see from pics of early 80's GS850's, it looks like they are shaft driven? if so you will need to check the seals there and change the gear oil also....run a quick visual check of all the wiring you can see to make sure nothing nibbled on the wires and lube the cables....along with the other things you mentioned should get you going....

also (you probably already know...but just in case) after the carbs get cleaned you will need to synch them....

#6 ·
You know i think i will rebuild the master brake cylinder just to be on the safe side. One less thing to go wrong and it would be good for the bike, its not a young spring chicken anymore. Thankfully here in Colorado we tend to have low humidity and it was kept in a barn so it has minimal water exposure.

#8 ·
So this is a 1980 GS850GL, i pulled both master cylinders today, man they were nasty with brake fluid being hydrostatic and all. I pulled the brake calipers as well but i have not disassembled them yet, going to do that tomorrow.

Any suggestions for where i buy the parts?

#9 ·
one possible http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1980-suzuki-gs850gl/o/m12825?a=7 you can also check and see if a dealership has access to any stock for your bike (probably not due to age) but they may also know of someplace local that may have parts...there are a lot of places on the net that sell parts for bikes, old and new....you could also check out Ebay

#12 ·
one possible you can also check and see if a dealership has access to any stock for your bike (probably not due to age) but they may also know of someplace local that may have parts...there are a lot of places on the net that sell parts for bikes, old and new....you could also check out Ebay
I checked them but it ended up being allot cheaper to use amazon, one of the rebuild kits is prime too so i get free 2 day shipping, but that was definitely useful to confirm parts fit so thanks.

#10 · (Edited)
Welcome from the hills of East Tennessee!!
heres my .02....I much prefer a Factory manual! The Aftermarket ones are OK, but IN GENERAL.....Don't have as much detail, example a Chiltons for my Harley Heritage is only $30, but a Harley factory manual is almost $90...however comparing the 2 ( I have) the Factory manual has MUCH,MUCH more detailed info. Same for my '75 Kawasaki 900, Factory manual has MUCH more info, Now, all this is bearing in mind you plan on Major maintenance or major rebuild,If you only perform smaller tasks that are not intricate, or for just changing oil, adjusting chains etc.the Clymers and Chiltons are fine.
I am sure someone will say something different.opinions are like......( You know whats here! LOL )..but thats been MY EXPERIENCE! 42+ years of Bikes.

Ed

#11 ·
I do plan on doing all the work myself, the only thing i cant do is machining because i don't have a machine shop but anything other than that i can and will do. If i can rebuild a V10 F550 i think i can manage this. I have been looking on ebay but i have been unable to find a factory service manual. Does anyone know where i could possibly get one in a PDF?

#15 ·
you being a mechanic you may already know this trick....when you do find a manual, copy the pages and slip the copies into plastic sleeves....keeps the page from getting messed up when you have to handle it with greasy hands....

#18 ·
Thanks, that will be a huge help. Sadly this project might get put on hold for about a month if i get this gig i am bidding on right now. 1951 International Motor Truck (i.e. old milk van) going to put in the entire drive train from a newer vehicle like a ram 1500, if i get the job i will be sure to post some pics, it will be fu**ing awesome :icon_cool:

#19 ·
So i managed to get a hold of a factory service manual in PDF format largely thanks TennesseeZ.

Got my front calipers back together and am going to do the rear one and the master cylinders after i get off here. Also just got back from the DMV and had the title transferred so now i am the official owner, :)

#20 ·
barn find

I bought a factory repair manual for the GS850 I'm doing, It has everything with sub sections for every model they made for $50 on flebay.. when you do your carbs you will bench sync them, then when you get it running you will have to have a meter to sync them Motion pro has them but so does flebay, good luck and post pics of your progrees

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.