Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm getting my first bike from my girlfriends brother. it's a 1978 suzuki gs550. he told me that the guy he got it from cut off the exhaust pipes and gave it straight pipes. so i need to replace the muffler on it. i found a used set on craigslist, but it is for the 1980-1981 model. does anyone know if they will fit on the 1978 model??? i cant find what bike year parts are interchangeable. if anyone knows i would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

·
What?
865 Posts
As long as pipe diameter is the same all you would really have to worry about is mounting brackets. Any weld shop would be able to reposition in for you if need be. If pipe diameter is different they do make tools to flare out exhaust pipes, they can be had from Habour Freight for a few bucks. They also make pipe flares that go from one size to another that can be had form most any automotive repair store.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i forgot to mention in my original post that the guy has the whole exhaust system. including the headers. its a 2-2 system. would the headers fit?

Sorry about that lack of information.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
i forgot to mention in my original post that the guy has the whole exhaust system. including the headers. its a 2-2 system. would the headers fit?

Sorry about that lack of information.
The header pipes have the same part number, so my guess is that they will work just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts