Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have oil leaking from the areas highlighted. Not 100% sure about the spark plug cable, I think some of it is coming from there, but 100% sure about the second area circled, enough oil leaks from there every time I ride to cause it to drip down. I have no idea where to begin in order to fix this or what specific gasket(s) I would have to be replacing. Any information y’all could provide helps. Thank you! As an added bonus this bike idles around 4000 rpms, have been running it that way for the last 6,000 miles, the only way to get it to idle down is to hold the brake and pop the clutch halfway out at stops until it idles down to around 1500, even then it doesn’t stay that way for long. The carb has been rebuilt twice, can’t seem to find a vacuum leak is it possible this oil leak is creating a vacuum leak to make it idle that way. At this point a fuel problem is essentially ruled out.

·
Ace Tuner
2,584 Posts
You need a new cam cover gasket. Put some Yamabond in/on the "half moon" areas on the head side only.
Oil is not leaking from the plug cap, it's getting blown there as you ride.

Rebuilt the carburetors twice? Could still be a carb problem or an intake manifold air leak, vacuum hose leak, vacuum petcock leak, maladjusted carburetors or other.
Is the air intake and air box stock?
Does the bike have an aftermarket exhaust system?

S F

1 - 2 of 2 Posts