Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my first bike, an 08 gs500f. It was lowered by the previous owner because she was too short for the bike. I'm 6'2" for reference and the bike could sit much higher and I would still be comfortable.

Do I need to worry a lot about this scraping? It's scary when I occasionally hear it, but I don't want it to stop me from progressing. Will I wipe out if I continue leaning hard if the kickstand is scraping bad?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Do I need to worry a lot about this scraping? It's scary when I occasionally hear it, but I don't want it to stop me from progressing. Will I wipe out if I continue leaning hard if the kickstand is scraping bad?
Yes, scraping parts is a problem. They can easily catch on something and upend the bike.

As one person commented elsewhere, scraping hard parts is your bike's way of saying you need to slow down.

You might consider raising the height as well.

A third way to deal with the issue is learning to hang off in a turn so the bike stays more upright. That doesn't mean you have to go fast, it simply means putting your weight inside the bike's center of gravity, which keeps more of your tire (and less parts) on the ground.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I would suggest removing the lowering links and raising the forks to match. You don't need the seat that low and might even find it more comfortable at a stop.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay veliospeed thats a good way to put things. Sounds like I need to go learn that skill and practice it some more.

I read somewhere, "The more you lean the more you turn"; I'm betting that skill would help me out of a bad situation, such as too fast for a corner and I'm going to run off the road towards the end of the turn.

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
Okay veliospeed thats a good way to put things. Sounds like I need to go learn that skill and practice it some more.

I read somewhere, "The more you lean the more you turn"; I'm betting that skill would help me out of a bad situation, such as too fast for a corner and I'm going to run off the road towards the end of the turn.
--

That's not necessarily true about more leaning equals more turn. It's the bike leaning that makes the turn, not your body. Your body just helps determine where the bike is positioned.

Also, sometimes a bike will drag more on one side if it has dual exhaust pipes that are not equal in distance off the ground. They need to be equal in relation to the vertical attitude of the rear tire, not the distance while parked or even on a lift (as your frame may be unequal in distance from the ground).

--

·
Registered
109 Posts
The scraping is most likely from your center stand.I've owned a 08' GS500F for a few years and after looking at pictures of your bike in the ad it seems unnaturally low I would suggest replacing the lowering link back to stock and raising the front forks back to stock height.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got a get ahold of this darn mechanic that has my stock parts! grrr otherwise I will buy stock ones

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So when I'm about to run off the road for taking a fast or bad move. I need to: push handlebar out more as well as lean. But primarily press on the handlebar which will make me turn sharper

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

Depends on which part of the handlebar you are pushing on. I like to think of it as if I'm holding the handgrips, then point a finger, then pushing in the direction of my pointing. This will make the bike lean and turn in the direction I'm pointing. So point and push your right finger, you'll turn right. Point and push left finger, you'll turn left.

Usually you will just stay in the middle of the bike's lean. If you lean more than the bike with your body, that is good to straighten up the bike if you think it's going to scrape metal parts (which is more likely if you don't have a sport bike). If you lean less than the bike, it will turn sharper than you are leaning--this you can do at parking lot speeds to make a tight u-turn by putting all your weight on the outside of the seat.

--

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
That happened to me. Turns out the hook on the kick stand was bent. I bent it back and no more problems.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
If you are all out of lean angle, get your chin over the handgrip on the inside of the turn to get a few more degrees of lean available.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried posting in the mods section but noone has answered.

For raising the front of the bike, what type of front stand do I want?

A triple tree stand with the pin in it, or one that supports the bike at the axle area. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts