Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And then when it fires, it runs rough, then when I try to give any gas, it dies instantly. I removed carb, cleaned, adjusted float and set everything back to factory settings. Put together and it did the same thing. Jump up and down on seat while trying to start, and it starts. Then dies giving gas. ?? Any ideas out there? It ran fine when I put it away last winter.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Any Ideas??? Yeah... take a good long hard look at the starter solenoid. The DR's (as well as many other suzis) have a history of bad connectors running to the starter solenoid. When you bounce on the seat you are forcing that connector to work. The Suzuki SV650 and the Boulevard C50 are all prone to the same problem.

Jack

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Starter Solenoid

Excellent idea. I was eyeballing what was under the seat and saw that, but if it solved the starting problem, I wasn't sure what it has to do with dying on giving it gas. Maybe two problems?? I'll check the connections to starter and battery. Thanks

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
might also want to take a look inside the tank (just don't use open flame lol) the shaking from you bouncing might be moving things around and letting gas flow, but as soon as you stop, the debris may stop it again....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Another good idea. I did find a corroded main wire on the starter solenoid so I ordered another. But I will clean the tank while I wait on the starter because once it does start it sputters and dies, so maybe there is junk in the tank...

Thanks for great ideas!!!! Heidi

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
A lot of time tank VENT lines get plugged up during wintertime. Spiders decide to nest in that nice little tube. Since air can't get into the tank, fuel can't flow out. It starts and dies. Happens on cars AND bikes.

To test: Take the gas cap off and start it. If problem goes away, clean your vent line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts