Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just experienced the worst possible trip in my life! I had planned a trip for 9 riders from Ontario, Canada and Ohio, USA to travel to Sturgis, SD. On our way, my 2008 C109RT stopped running going around Chicago during rush hour traffic. I was towed to a dealer in Carol Stream just south of Chicago and they replaced the battery and said, your ok to continue on!
I made it half way across Wisconsin and while cruising along I90, my bike stops again and coasts to a stop. This time it was a complete electrical meltdown. The battery was so hot I still couldn't remove it three hours later. It had swollen from overcharging and destroyed all my electrical from dash, lights, relays, add on parts like my EFI controller, GPS wiring and mount, intercom system, the works!!! After trailering it back to Canada, I learned that the regulator/rectifier, which incidentally was replaced in a recall by Suzuki in 2012 overcharged my bike and fried everything. When I went to Suzuki with nearly $3,000 in damages, they said prove it! Even with the tests they recommended my dealer do and did, they refused their own evidence of fault! They stung me for all the expense and showed they didn't care about their customers at all! I am hugely disappointed with Suzuki now. Incidentally two other riders owned Suzuki on this ride. They have both sold and bought other brands already! I will never buy Suzuki again and will never recommend them after this incident!

·
Ace Tuner
2,299 Posts
Before I read this Suzuki was my last choice of the four Japanese makes.
This is just one more reason why I try to steer my friends and customers away from them.

For me personally, my order of preference is:

Yamaha & Honda, both battling for first place.
Kawasaki in a solid third but sometimes loosing sight of the leaders.
Suzuki running dead last and not in contention.

Good Luck with your next non-Suzy.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
I understand your frustration, but how long are you expecting them to stand behind it?

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
Curious post. The OP apparently came on over a year ago to blow off steam, then yesterday a brand new guy accepts the OP's story at face value and bashes Suzuki with his first post.

I have several friends riding Suzuki's who are very happy with their bikes and are not having any more problems than other makes.

Like ODE, I can understand the OP's frustration, but one person's bad experience should not denigrate the entire Suzuki lineup.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
Curious post. The OP apparently came on over a year ago to blow off steam, then yesterday a brand new guy accepts the OP's story at face value and bashes Suzuki with his first post.

I have several friends riding Suzuki's who are very happy with their bikes and are not having any more problems than other makes.

Like ODE, I can understand the OP's frustration, but one person's bad experience should not denigrate the entire Suzuki lineup.
Totally missed the date of the OP.

·
American Legion Rider
20,494 Posts
I'm sorry his trip was ruined. But would he have been so quick to sign onto a forum to post it, had Suzuki fixed the issue on an 7-8 year old bike?
Nope! You rarely see someone go to all the trouble to get an account just to give praise. It does happen but it's very rare. Now to complain, yep. All the time and they normally never stick around too.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Yep, that's why I always take negative reviews with a grain of salt. For every negative review there are 100 good experiences that never elicit a review.

·
Premium Member
7,471 Posts
Suzuki

I have a 006 Suzuki SV1000S and it is a sweet bike. Ah just love it. Performance to match all the good sport bikes at a lot less cost. Has been running great. Hardly a problem.

Back to the OP. If the bike had a known problem, it would have been a good idea to get it checked. If a new battery was put in, the charging rate should have been checked.
The XS1100 Yamahas have a second gear problem. Should I throw a hissy fit if mine acts up?
Lots of folks love their Suzuki cruisers. And there are many models that are great. I would like a 650 dual purpose bike.
I have also started to check the date of the OP.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I have a 1974 Honda that has a recall on it, Honda won't do it. Will never own another Honda as long as I ride!

Unless it's an F6b or Valkarie, or a CB1100, or a..............................

·
American Legion Rider
20,494 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Rather than dissecting the motives of the OP, frequency of Internet gripes versus kudos, why don't we discuss what actually happened and what might be learned from it:

According to OP:

"My 2008 C109RT stopped running going around Chicago during rush hour traffic. I was towed to a dealer in Carol Stream just south of Chicago and they replaced the battery and said, "You're ok to continue on!"

As for what they ACTUALLY said, it was probably something like, "Your battery tested bad and we replaced it."

And they probably did. Test the battery, that is.

What they probably did NOT do was test (or re-test) the charging system AFTER replacing the battery which would take anyone with a bit of experience under a minute: Merely checking the voltage at idle, and at 2500rpms should suffice... agreed?

How many of you, who do your own repairs, would go looking for a second CAUSE of a bike shutting down after finding a shorted or open battery?

So the million dollar question is, did the original failing battery, one say, with a shorted cell, cause the Suzuki-replaced voltage regulator to fail, or did a failing (overcharging?) voltage regulator take out the first battery?

Somebody brings a "dead" bike in with a 5 year old battery, completely dry in one cell, personally I'm going to suspect "old age and neglect" rather than failing voltage regulator.

Unless OP had a voltage meter on his dashboard, and could have visibly SEEN voltages>15.0 rolling down the road, I can hardly fault him for not realizing anything was wrong. Who's going to notice a brighter-than-average headlight???

As far as suing Suzuki, I think a good attorney could make a good case that Suzuki KNEW their original regulator had "issues," and replaced it with one that apparently wasn't much better, as evidenced by what happened to OP. Yes, 5 years is a long time, but...

But the BOTTOM line is, I think, that testing a charging system BEFORE and AFTER replacement of any major part - battery, rectifier, regulator, alternator...

would simply be GOOD practice whether it's on a car or a bike. A 2 minute investment in ensuring the customer actually gets down the road.

Agree? Disagree?

·
Premium Member
7,471 Posts
Charge it.

I already said they should have checked the charging rate. There was also probably some previous experience with the bike that the owner could have provided. The fact that the bike quit should have lead to a bit of detective work.
As in the alternator should keep the bike running above a certain number of revs. As always it would be nice to know the rest of the story, but we will never get it.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 20 of 26 Posts