Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I did some repairs on my old Suzuki gs 450l. Now im putting stuff back together but the clutch isnt working properly.. I dont know much about clutches and gears so I could really use some help here. I got this clutch push pin which should be able to go in nd push the gears I guess? But theres not much movement happening when i push the pin manually.. ? What am I doing wrong here? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you mean items 19-20 in this drawing: 1985 Suzuki GS450L CLUTCH Parts - Best OEM CLUTCH Parts Diagram for 1985 GS450L Motorcycles
If so, it takes a lot more force than you have in your hands to push it in against the springs. That is why the clutch lever at the grip is so long relative to the small amount it pulls the cable.
Hey man, I'm still finishing this project, everything is pretty much done except for the clutch. I put it all back together but it really doesn't push in when i pull the clutch lever.. what could be causing this? Shifting gears (without the clutch) works fine.

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
OK, so the lever pulls the cable, which pulls something under #28 on this drawing: 1985 Suzuki GS450L CRANKCASE COVER | PartsOutlaw.com
That something appears to be #24 on this drawing: 1985 Suzuki GS450L CLUTCH | PartsOutlaw.com
That part should have a helix inside, which moves screw #25 against the push rods. and should be adjusted to almost touch those rods when resting, and locked in place by the nut. The release assembly has to be oriented correctly for this to happen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The weird thing is when I look at 1985 Suzuki GS450L CLUTCH | PartsOutlaw.com is that the drawing shows 2 pins? I only have one pin? But then when you pull the lever, the rod should be pushed inwards for at least a tiny bit I assume?
Here you see the push rod which to me looks like is part #20 rather than #19?

Thanks a lot for the help already!

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
That looks kind of short to reach all the way from the clutch release to the pressure plate push piece, #13. Have you looked in your parts bin?

EDIT: Before you put the sprocket cover on, did the push rod stick out through the oil seal; if so, could you push it in?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made a video, hopefully this will clear out some things :)
When I pull the clutch lever you can see the helix turns and moves inwards a bit.
When I attach this back on the engine, it doesn't feel like the rod is being pushed in.
I tried to put the engine in 1st gear and hold the clutch to see if I could move the bike but it doesn't

Video

Cheers,
Daan

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
OK, that looks like it should reach. Have you tried adjusting the screw, #25? You should be able to access it by removing the clutch release cap, #28 on the crankcase cover. It should be turned in until you can feel it touch the rod, then turned back about 1/4 turn so there is some free movement before pushing on the rod.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks kind of short to reach all the way from the clutch release to the pressure plate push piece, #13. Have you looked in your parts bin?

EDIT: Before you put the sprocket cover on, did the push rod stick out through the oil seal; if so, could you push it in?
To quote on your question about being able to push the rod in: no, I can not push it in I pressed it really hard with my thumb but no movement whatsoever.
I did not adjust the screw since I could feel the helix was already touching the push rod.
Do you think something could be wrong inside the engine? (while shifting works fine when the engine is off and the engine runs smooth in neutral, I didn't shift it yet while running ofcourse)

Cheers!

·
Zip
2,522 Posts
Try the easy thing first: adjust that screw. Back it out until it turns really easily; you might not need to turn it very much to get to this point. Then turn it in until it starts to be hard to turn. Then back out 1/4 turn. Like I said, this is a very easy thing to do, and by doing it you either fix your problem or eliminate one possible cause.

Be sure to loosen that lock nut before you start, and tighten it back up after you're done. Be sure to hold the screw in place while tightening the nut to keep it from turning.

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
To quote on your question about being able to push the rod in: no, I can not push it in I pressed it really hard with my thumb but no movement whatsoever.
I did not adjust the screw since I could feel the helix was already touching the push rod.
This is good, as it means that, despite the parts diagram, you have a single piece rod, and it reaches the clutch release (no one I know is strong enough to release a clutch with their bare hands). As RogerC60 suggests, the next step is to make sure the helix is actually pushing on the rod, by making the adjustment he describes. You should do this with the cable loose, so only that adjuster is effected. Once that is done, the cable should be adjusted so the lever moves a short distance before you feel it begin pushing the clutch release; maybe 1/2" at the lever end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts