Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

This may be my first post here...it's been awhile since I was finishing up a graduate degree.

Here's the short story: I have a 2007 Suzuki Boulevard C90 with 30,000 miles on it. It just came from the dealer because there was no spark - it turned out to be some obscure resistance measurement with the crankshaft position sensor - but it runs now!

It hasn't run since last November (8 months ago.) The air filter is out and also I took all body parts off to have it painted - they did a beautiful job!!

The fuel injection SOLID RED LIGHT is lit. I have the OBD tool for it and will check that out - however:

1. Could this be as simple as reinstalling the air filter?
2. Would 8-month-old gas trip the sensor(s)?
3. Would putting some fuel injector cleaner be of help? If so, can you please recommend anything?

The bike starts right up and idles on its own. I'm excited about all that, but want to square away the FI light before I take it out. Someone mentioned putting some FI cleaner in, running it, then the light didn't go off until the next time they started it up. Just FYI.

Thank you in advance for your service to your fellow man.

Best regards,

Maitai

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
Well, Suzuki makes some damn nice Cruisers, ridden the M50 and liked it a lot.

I think that if this bike has an on-board computer, it might know the air cleaner is not where it is supposed to be,
these puters are UN believebly accurate and know more than we think they do. STEP 1 I'd service the air cleaner then put
back on bike, let idle and see if the light goes out. If light went out than the bikes computer was programed to have air
cleaner in place.

Step 2 Get some SEAFOAM or fuel injection cleaner apply as directed or 2 ounces per gallon, run for a bit and see if light
goes out, if light goes out then puter was satisfied with quality of fuel, if light stays on, use that OBD tool

SEAFOAM did a great job cleaning low speed jets in my 91 Sporty's carb.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ray!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for that great reply - I'll follow your instructions and then get back to you. I've had great success with Seafoam - but we do not think of these things when we're in the thick of it.

Again, thanks for taking the time.

Best,

Maitai

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
You are very welcome Maitai11,

I am not a wrencher, just a guy who has had some experiences with bikes and using some ideas common sense from past experience.
You will learn more about your bike by doing what you can, like servicing air cleaner, I rode my 91 sporty over a bridge, could not get
more than 85 mph, went home, and serviced air cleaner, went back to the bridge an got a little over a hundred, so I know about that.
Change your own oil, read your owners manual. I hope you find that doing even some maintenance is an enjoyable thing to do

I gotta tell ya, that's a damn sweet bike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ray,

I've got this warm, fuzzy feeling in the center of my chest - there are so many people who say to never buy a Boulevard, but I loved it so much that after I moved from Hawaii to Reno two years ago, I bought the EXACT same year, make, model, and COLOR - then had the paint shop clone it. The paint results are nothing short of stunning. Suzuki had this cheesy decal to delineate between the black and maroon color - the shop airbrushed it and did the pinstripes by hand - AND they included some minute metallic flecks to give it that much more luster.

I, myself, have been a wrencher for a long time - shade-tree type - and always on cars. I've pulled motors, trannys, done clutches, and everything on the outside of an engine. The only thing I've never done is to rebuild an engine - but motorcycles, I'm finding, are a totally different ballgame. And it doesn't matter that you don't wrench - your input is valuable, period.

When I get the body parts back on I'm gonna make you jealous and post some pics HAHAHA ;)

Regards,

Tim

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Do you have a copy of the service manual? Self-diagnosis says that, if the engine starts, but the FI light is on, it is missing a sensor input. There are a number of connectors under the faux tank tins, any one of which may be open. There isn't a sensor to detect the presence of the air filter, but there are intake pressure and temperature sensors. The Input Air Temperature sensor is on the list of things involved in removing the filter box.

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
SO, it seems Maitai had to remove it when he took off the air cleaner, and as I have done at times, missed putting one thing back.
It happens! O.K. Maitai11 go in the garage and look for a box with motorcycle parts in it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Ray,

You know, now that we're talking about it, I put some dielectric grease on the spacers and bolts on that side - I'm going to take that off and clean it before going any further forward...it's best that I correct any potential mistake I may have made - and YES - I am in the process of getting all those parts ready!!!

Best,

Tim ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts