Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Oklahoma and my wife and I are planning on moving to either Germany or Scotland in about a year, and we want to start the move with a 2-6 month motorcycle tour across Europe.

Has anyone used a Boulevard C90 for a long distance trip like this? Also I need some information about importing/shipping a bike to Europe. My biggest concern is the cost to get it to EU standards as I have aftermarket straight pipes and I'm not sure if the US stock pipes will be street legal in Europe.

Any tips/information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Old Fogey++
40 Posts
exporting and importing bikes

... are planning on moving to either Germany or Scotland in about a year.... I need some information about importing/shipping a bike to Europe. My biggest concern is the cost to get it to EU standards as I have aftermarket straight pipes and I'm not sure if the US stock pipes will be street legal in Europe...
It is not quite clear which of the two possibilities are you considering: bringing your US registered bike with you to ride it for a limited period of time as a visitor, with Oklahoma plates, or importing the bike to Germany or Britain and registering it there.

The former is relatively simple, and the main consideration is the shipping and liability insurance cost; the former is IMHO likely to prove so costly and complicated that you are much better advised to sell the bike in Oklahoma and buying one in your new country of residence.

They are much less tolerant of noisy pipes in Europe, especially in Germany. Even if just visiting, with no intention to pass the road-worthiness test and registering it locally, I would take with me the OEM pipes, just in case.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had loud cans on my BMW through Europe with no problems. I would say, Europe is easy, it's fast and it's damp. You'd be best served on a pretty quick bike with a bit of weather protection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts