Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife bought a 2019 Suzuki DRZ400 Factory height was too tall for her so she asked a dealership to put an adjustable lowering link in the back and drop it 3 inches they did the work and I find that the bike Now is really spongy in the rear because I don't believe they made any adjustments to the shock itself I brought it back up an inch so it's now lowered 2 inches from factory. how do I adjust the rear shock to make up for the sponginess to get the stiffness back into the rear end?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,597 Posts
It will depend on the shock being used. Some are adjustable for height. Some can have the pre-load adjusted, and most you can adjust the stiffness. Some are hydraulic and require the turning of a screw or two, while others are manual adjust with a spanner of the correct type. You can also slide the forks up a bit in the triple tree for lowering, and on some you can change the wheel diameter. Lots of options.

UK

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
my wife bought a 2019 Suzuki DRZ400 Factory height was too tall for her so she asked a dealership to put an adjustable lowering link in the back and drop it 3 inches they did the work and I find that the bike Now is really spongy in the rear because I don't believe they made any adjustments to the shock itself I brought it back up an inch so it's now lowered 2 inches from factory. how do I adjust the rear shock to make up for the sponginess to get the stiffness back into the rear end?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
I'd think adjusting the rear shock is in the owners manual
In my manual it's under suspension adjustment ....... Only tells you how to get to it, suggest dealer because special tool needed.......but mines not a dirt bike, probably a dirt bike would be made easy with the bikes tool kit

·
Registered
583 Posts
3 inches seems like a lot for a street bike, but maybe not so much for her dual sport. Online specs list the 400S as having both preload and damping force adjustment on the rear. Wonder if the dealer made any adjustment on preload or damping when they installed the links? Rather than 2-3 inches on the rear only, I would rather split the difference with adjusting the forks as well. That will keep the front/rear suspension geometry closer to factory design while lowering the seat and leg reach height. Just my thought and suggestion.

Reactions: skier130

·
Premium Member
7,597 Posts
I just checked the specs. Seat height is 35 inches, which is way to high IMO. Weight is 319 pounds, which is okay for trails and gravel roads, but too heavy for serious off road use. Top speed of 114 from a 39 hp single is dreaming.

UK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts