Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently stumbled apon a United Motors SMF 200 for super cheat but had no title or bill of origin. That raised a red flag for me and I checked out the VIN online and it came back clean. Bike ran fine I just am assuming the guy knows very little about bikes to sell it for cheap. So now I have the problem of how do I get a title for it? The guy never obtained a title for the bike in the first place as he only used it as a dirt bike and didn’t need to register it so what’s do I do. I also live in NJ.

·
Premium Member
10,624 Posts
So I recently stumbled apon a United Motors SMF 200 for super cheat but had no title or bill of origin. That raised a red flag for me and I checked out the VIN online and it came back clean. Bike ran fine I just am assuming the guy knows very little about bikes to sell it for cheap. So now I have the problem of how do I get a title for it? The guy never obtained a title for the bike in the first place as he only used it as a dirt bike and didn’t need to register it so what’s do I do. I also live in NJ.
I am guessing you have some choices: They are: Ask guys like me online, ask your local Toyota dealer, or ask your state motor vehicle branch.
From me you might get cheap advice as above, from the Toyota dealer you might get a free coffee, and or check out any good looking staff, and from the MVB, the info you are looking for. Your choice.

Wots a SMF 200 look like. Is it made by Lop Chung?

UK

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
It is possible to register a vehicle without a title, but it typically means something like a bonded title. Check with the NJ DMV for specifics in registering a vehicle without a title. It seems it may be more expensive than registering a vehicle with a title, so consider that when buying a vehicle without a title.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went through something similar here in SC, DMV won’t tell you squat, they’re all lazy and don’t give a rats toot about anything. I used a form called “Affidavit of Ownership” available from my SCDMV website. That, along with pictures of the bike, a statement regarding how I got it and didn’t get a title, in my case barn find, a copy of bill of sale, and a VIN verification form from taking the bike to my local dmv for an agent to inspect it and sign the form was submitted to State DMV HQ. 2 months later I got it back stamped, and took it to dmv and applied for a title as normal using the stamped Affidavit of Ownership as the “original title”

If you go a similar route, make sure the bike is road legal (lights, whatever) prior to the vin inspection. If it’s not, they’ll stamp it off road only, and you’ll have to bring it back for reinspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.