Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! I'm just looking into riding and I'm trying to decide on what bike to get. I thought that I wanted a sports bike (Probably a Ninja 250), but after watching online videos and looking through forums I think I want a supermoto. They sound more fun, more safe, and better for beginners. I'm just confused on what exactly makes a supermoto. Is it just an altered dirt bike? How is it different from a dual sport? If I look on craigslist what should I look for? Are factory made supermotos street legal or do I need to put some work into it? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Are factory made supermotos street legal or do I need to put some work into it?
As long as it was sold with the required DOT approved headlight (high/low beam) speedometer, turn signals, horn, tail light, then it should be street legal. Unless you're importing the bike from another country that has different equipment laws.

I too am confused by the variety of categories out there for "multi-use" bikes, such as

-enduro
-dual purpose
-dual sport
-adventure
-super moto

IMO they all describe a bike that goes either on or off road.. So what are the differences, or is it all marketing fluff buzzwords? Who wants to educate on this? :p

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Technically speaking, a supermoto is a class of racer that runs a supermoto course, which consists of street, dirt and flat track.

For consumer motorcycles, a supermoto is fairly close to a dual sport motorcycle, except that it tends to have more street-centered tires and suspension.

The 250/300 sport bikes are excellent to learn on for those that like the riding position and styling. I wouldn't ride them off road much, personally.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Enduro is an older name for a dual sport. Same basic functions. The last time I owned one was in 1971 and it was a 175 cc Kawasaki enduro. It was a dirt bike that I rode out to the trails then rode on the trails.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts