Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in another thread and didn't much of a response. I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

Hi everybody! I'm just looking into riding and I'm trying to decide on what bike to get. I thought that I wanted a sportsbike (Probably a Ninja 250), but after watching online videos and looking through forums I think I want a supermoto. They sound more fun, more safe, and better for beginners. I'm just confused on what exactly makes a supermoto. Is it just an altered dirt bike? How is it different from a dual sport? What is an enduro bike? If I look on craigslist what should I look for? Are factory made supermotos street legal or do I need to put some work into it? Thanks in advance!

·
"Young Grasshopper"
351 Posts
I also have a lot of interest in supermoto, there are a couple of different kinds, but the kind you are interested in (street legal) are basically dual-sports with street tires and exhausts. As long as it has mirrors, a headlight and blinkers its street legal

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Well that's not exactly correct. To be street legal (in most states) you need a headlight, tail light, horn, DOT approved exhaust and DOT approved tires. Hand signals are legal as a substitute for lighted signal indicators. And I believe at least one rear view mirror is required. A supermoto is a motocross bike with an added head/tail light and tires suitable for hard surfaces (asphalt). A true supermoto (race bike) may not have DOT exhaust or horn. When shopping for a supermoto or a dual purpose, the most important thing is to be sure it is titled for "street use". It can often be more expensive and more of a headache to convert a "dirt" bike to street legal than to buy the already street legal version by the time you add the wiring/switches, tires, exhaust, etc. And go thru the hassle and cost of getting it inspected/titled.

·
American Legion Rider
18,630 Posts
Texas requires a speedometer too. And it is a pain to convert one from the legal point of view. I converted a DRZ400 to street use and the work to convert was simple. Get it inspected and passed was the hassle. They like to dribble out little other things that need to be done I think just on a whim.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts