Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you on Friese's side, or Peick's?

Having seen Friese ride dirty all the way up through his amateur career, I'm on Peick's side. I just wish Peick had waited and stomped his ass in the pits.

Definitely an exciting start to the SX season.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
any video?

·
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bear in mind this is the second incident where Friese took Peick out.

·
Premium Member
8,944 Posts
Video

Plenty of good video.
It looks like more than one deliberate take down to me.
The marshals should handle it, but if they do not, retaliation can, and did, occur. Friese seems to have started it. I do not know about prior events.

Unkle Krusty

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Sorry ODE, I can't take the side of anyone who does that ON THE TRACK. Whether or not he deserved it isn't the question in my opinion. Those guys are paid professionals, and that kind of behavior shouldn't be tolerated. Is Friese an a-hole? Maybe, I don't know either of them personally so I can't say. But the way to avoid him is by staying far enough ahead of him that he can't take you out, accidentally or purposely.
This is a sport filled with alpha males, and probably more than one in the bunch is an a-hole. Being a professional means you are paid to deal with them in a professional manner while on the job.

·
Premium Member
8,944 Posts
Crash

Schumaker on at least two occasions, deliberately crashed into other drivers during a race. The penalties were not sufficient.

Rossi interfered with another rider, and the penalty was harsh. His was also a retaliatory move.

Off course, we do not know if the crasher, and or the crashee, had been spoken to by the race officials prior to the latest event.

At the track in 014, I reported an erratic and IMO dangerous rider.
The marshals were already watching him. He crashed.

Unkle Krusty*

·
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even Carmichael admitted something needed to be done about Friese. You don't get to bully your way to the front without consequences and thinking those kind of moves are ok just because someone else is faster, is ridiculous, they're every bit as uncalled for as the punches, Friese had it coming. I bet you'll find that less than 10% of riders think Pieck was wrong. Pieck could have sent him over a berm, then there would have been a better chance of Friese getting hurt. Only a bitch rider boots you out of the way without ever attempting a clean pass.
Professional smofessional, this is MX not professional basket weaving, these guys spend 20 laps with their heart at a rate that would stroke most people out, asking them to be able to turn that much adrenaline off at the drop of a hat is crazy.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Banning then from a race or two won't curb it?:confused:

·
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They sat Peick out for the remainder of the race. Friese will likely get nothing even though he rides that way every race. I grew to deeply dislike the little ahole the year my son rode the B class at Loretta Lynn's. I'd enjoy seeing him getting smacked around every race.
Ive seen few riders who are dirtier than Friese. I don't know him personally, but I can tell you I have met Canard and Anderson used to hang out in my pit's and even though moving another rider is necessary sometimes, You'd never see them ride like Friese.

·
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the general consensus in the MX community as pertaining to this.

"OK for you who don't spend 25k+ at the track every year, LEAD BIKE HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY! If you can't get your bike in front of the other rider its not a block pass, its a dick move. And if you get taken out twice by the same dick and you don't do anything about you deserve a participation trophy."

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
I honestly didn't know there were any "rights" in competition racing. Is dirt racing that different?:confused: If there was ever a place for passing rules it should be motorcycle ice racing and even there I thought it was get there any way you can racing.

·
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I honestly didn't know there were any "rights" in competition racing. Is dirt racing that different?:confused: If there was ever a place for passing rules it should be motorcycle ice racing and even there I thought it was get there any way you can racing.
No, the unwritten rule is that a wheel in front means it's your track, but "block" passing is the norm. Block passing doesn't include T-boning or forcing someone over a berm by contact. Somehow some Supercross fans seem to think that if you catch someone the next position is yours to take as you will. Friese also used to think that.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
I'm not at all familiar with this racing but is it amateur or professional or does it make a difference?

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
No, the unwritten rule is that a wheel in front means it's your track, but "block" passing is the norm. Block passing doesn't include T-boning or forcing someone over a berm by contact. Somehow some Supercross fans seem to think that if you catch someone the next position is yours to take as you will. Friese also used to think that.
Sorry, but you are talking about "unwritten rules". I am more concerned about the written rules violated by Peick. Friese may be a dick, but Peick lowered himself to the same level by not controlling his temper. Amateurs don't have contracts with code of conduct clauses, pros do.

Being a dick isn't against any AMA rules. Taking time out in the middle of a race to dish out your own brand of violent retribution against another rider is.

·
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Emotions happen, they happen in hockey, football, soccer etc. etc.. Do you feel the same when emotions come out then? I would have doubted someone's dedication if they didn't display to Friese their displeasure.

·
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After clearing my head at the gym, I think I'll go back on that last statement.

There is no scholarship for MX/SX riders, so they don't have the college education of any of the above athletes and generally start their "career" at a much younger age. They're home-schooled and a good lot of them don't have a GED.
Expecting them to be "smarter" or have some ridiculous control over their emotions after spending hundreds of hours preparing for that season only to have some jackass clean you out, not once, but twice, in the first race of the season is silly. I get the rules, but the misguided outrage over Peick's reaction amazes me.

My son was on the cusp of being one of those guys and in 2002 I was considering home-schooling him. Then one day I had Rob Reynard's van in the shop and he had Robbie come in and talk me out of it, when he came to pick him up. Robbie told me of friends that quit school to pursue their dream only to fall short and have no education and were now damn near unemployable.

Fortunately I listened, because the injuries started and his progress slowed.

I've seen emotions flare at the track, truthfully, I'd rather see the confrontation off the bike, than see the possibility of someone being run over a berm and injured. And this I've seen personally.
You don't let what Friese did go and shrug it off. His actions on the track have deserved an a$$ beating for years, I just wish it was more severe.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Those are all poor examples. (non motorsports) But yes, I would feel the same way.

A better axample would a sport like NASCAR. If DURING A RACE, while there where a field of drivers running on the track. One driver makes hard contact, and both cars spun out. A driver then left his car and proceeded to drag the other driver out and give him a beat-down in frustration. YES, I would feel the same way. Not only is it unprofessional, it creates a dangerous situation for EVERYONE on the track.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Nobody is arguing whether Freise "deserved" it or not. But if he deserved it, wait until after the race and beat his ass then, not on the track while a race is taking place.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts