Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
I found a pretty positive way to remove McGard round wheel locks with a round body to not be graspable (is that a word? it is now)

It requires a dremel with a long chain saw chain sharpener rock in it and a nut of such a size that the points just about equal the OD of the wheel lock, commonly can be a 3/4" on car size locks.

You tape or use adhesive on one side of the nut to glue it temporarily to the end of the damaged wheel lock as a pattern to indicate where the six sides of a socket would go and then grind flats on the lock body to match the nut. Takes under 10 minutes, Grind enough a 3/4" socket to match the nut size will go over the lock and if tight enough to have to help it out by light hammer tapping even better. Use the socket to then yank the wounded wheel lock,

I've done all 4 wheels before in about 35 minutes and in the very deep holes some custom wheels have that shield the lock from anything bigger than a normal size socket from getting on the bad part.

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
26,798 Posts
I started using Nut Wax to stop losing nuts and screw. Doesn't help with losing the socket or wrench though. :mad:

Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Lens Automotive tire

·
Registered
82 Posts
I started using Nut Wax to stop losing nuts and screw. Doesn't help with losing the socket or wrench though. :mad:

View attachment 71584
(y)

Using some form of sticky stuff can save you a lot of aggravation when trying to install a small fastener in a hard to reach spot, I`ve been using beeswax since I started as an aviation mech about 45 years ago.

You can get a pound of beeswax for about 13 bucks. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Same amount of 6 point as 12 point...
Same amount of deep sockets as short sockets.
That pic is only my SAE sockets....:)
Sorry, didn't mean put down your tooling. The facetious comment about having too many of certain length socket got me. My mind was boggling over the concept of having too many tools.
Here's a partial pic of my number one socket drawer. It has gaps and I know exactly where and why. Some I am using, others, like a deep 1/4" drive 5/8 " are a bit hard to find. When they Snap On tool truck guy says "You want a what now?" you know it might be challenging to find. I also have an ever cycling tool "want list".

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean put down your tooling. The facetious comment about having too many of certain length socket got me. My mind was boggling over the concept of having too many tools.
Here's a partial pic of my number one socket drawer. It has gaps and I know exactly where and why. Some I am using, others, like a deep 1/4" drive 5/8 " are a bit hard to find. When they Snap On tool truck guy says "You want a what now?" you know it might be challenging to find. I also have an ever cycling tool "want list".
How can you call that^ a socket drawer without a single super socket ? LOL ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, I did say I had gaps. Some gaps are because of things I bought, tried, found to be utterly useless, and tossed into the scrap bin. I mean, since we're talking super sockets/Gator grips/etc. Sadly, yes, I am in fact lacking one of those. :giggle:

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
508 Posts
O.K., what's all this about nut wax and beeswax ? .

Serious comments or just having fun ? .

About thirty five years ago a salesman came into my shop with some liquid in a bottle that supposedly wold hold a Phillips screw driver in a wallowed out screw head....

·
Registered
82 Posts
O.K., what's all this about nut wax and beeswax ? .

Serious comments or just having fun ? .
Beeswax is very handy to have in your toolbox, I keep it in a cap from a spray can.

Example:
Sometimes you will come across a nut that needs to be installed in a tight spot, just stick the nut to a screwdriver, or anything that you can finagle into the spot, it will hold the nut while you carefully spin the screw or bolt to get it started.

When you are removing a nut, bolt, or screw, just put some of the goop on your wrench.

It can also come in handy when you are trying to retrieve a dropped part from an inaccessible spot.

If you find that the beeswax is not pliable enough, just put a drop of oil on it and mix it up, it will be pliable and sticky, and it will last forever.

Natural material Gas Nickel Metal Fashion accessory

Insect Wood Natural material Invertebrate Flooring

Water Liquid Motor vehicle Wood Circle

·
Registered
695 Posts
(laughing) I use 3M weatherstrip adhesive to do that, been doing it wrong all these years.....or I use two way tape (double sided sticky film with no backing) that printers use on web presses.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Try using the wax, you will see it doesn`t get all over your hand, tools etc., it is fairly dry so you can just scrape it back off into the container.

But anything is better than hearing the little fastener drop into the abyss. :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
! OOPS ! .

Clatter, clatter it goes, maybe down into the frame where it'll make noise but not be any problem, maybe down into the timing chest where it'll ruin the engine if I don't get it out .

(wow, I musta been really tired, worse spelling than my usual)

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
26,798 Posts
Now if I could figure out a way to retrieve that 10mm from the nether regions before using something like vaseline or nut wax I'd have it made.
:thumbdown:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have always uses the wax instead of the magnet, because the fasteners I mostly deal with at my job (Jet Engine Mechanic) are Titanium or some other non magnetic alloy:)
Ahh , a special application . Useful for that .
Not very many titanium nuts or bolts on motorcycles . ;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have several extendable magnets but all too often there's insufficient room to get it in where the lost fastener is...

Reactions: DanGr

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have used shop air to blow a dropped nut out of an inaccessible crevice with a quick and careful blast.
They make "grabbers" on long flexible cables that have fingers that come out of one end when you push the button on the other end. No idea what they are actually called. My latest one is semi-rigid so that you can curve it how you need and it stays in position unlike the older style that just sort of flops around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This looks very, very useful! Anyone have any experience with it?

superbrandtools.com
This looks very, very useful! Anyone have any experience with it?

superbrandtools.com
Great video review....and want all to know that the one called a super socket made by super brand tools co (not this one here on this page...but the one that has a website for bying the super socket and other tools... and is selling it in ads on you tube is a total huge rip off...DON'T BUY IT...DON'T GO BY THE REVIEWS ON IT'S PAGES OR INTERNET THAT IT CONTROLS....CHECK OUT ALL the vids on it and ALL the other reviews under those vids...i paid $79 for it...and it's a tiny rachet with a the super socket that is filled with pins and so easily breaks and doesn't function for long or for much at all...(check out reviews online in other vids demonstrating what it can an cannot do just like this vid did with these other tools for same or similar functions. ..While all these in THIS video sell for way less can do so much more....the supersocket can't do what any of these do even with the cheapest and least functional of these. If anyone has any ideas on how i can get my refund from these scammers (who refused to cancel my order before it went out when they said it already did go out and then even tho they have a 30 day warranty...they will not refund used tools so i am not using it...but they say they also won't refund any tools unless damaged!!! For $79 this is a total scam of a business and i just want to return it. Their ads and site was very tricky..(as is their refund policy).when you order it looks like you can return if not satisfied...but then there is so much to read on OTHER pages that you don't know their REAL refund policy about returns as so many claims in so many parts of the pages of the site sound like you have warranty and would be able to see it and return it...but when you call they tell you otherwise and then i went back and read EVERYTHING and sure enough on one page it ways they do not accept returns and do not do refunds except for unused but damaged. but then they will ONLY SEND ANOTHER ONE ..NO REFUND. I JUST GOT MINE and ordered it a couple or few weeks ago.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts