Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,298 Posts
Post number 19. You did nothing to offend me. Rather your selection of sockets is quite good. For some members I should warn them of sarcastic humour.
Do I need to add, post number 16 is also humor. At least I thought it was funny. Note the difference in spelling above.
Your post number 14 is what got us started, and please, no offense implied. Honest.

Post number 20. I have done my share of working on early British. The quote, never again, comes from the Jewish people with reference to Masada. And or, you question is somewhat correct.
More British. the smartest thing ever done to a Jaguar with a V12, is remove it and install a 350V8.
I ran a 750 Dunstall Norton at the track, for nostalgic reasons. Everything other than the frame was wrong with that bike.
We were making more power than any other Norton, other than the Axtell powered bikes. It was an exercise in futility.
I had previously owned a 650 BSA. The crank cases were a bit stronger than frozen butter.. Cork and three adjustable springs were used in the clutch. Talk about asleep at the wheel, and they paid for it. I also did my share of upholstery work on British cars. My last job in NZ was removing the head liner, in a new Austin Princess, so that repairs could be done to the roof. Then I put it back together. UK

·
Ace Tuner
3,995 Posts
Did I do something to offend you?

No obsession with deep sockets, look closely, there are deep, short, and mid-length sockets in my cart, they are what I have accumulated as needed over the past 45 years as an aircraft mechanic.

View attachment 71473

Since you asked, here is a pic of the largest adjustable wrench I own, it`s above the combination wrenches (I don`t use adj wrenches often).

View attachment 71472
There is a place for everything and everything has it's place.
Somebody should tell my toolbox... ;)

S F

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
508 Posts
"There is a place for everything and everything has it's place.
Somebody should tell my toolbox... ;)

S F"

I believe you have that wrong, it should be 'a place for everything and nothing in it's place' .

Reactions: Tinsnips and DanGr

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I looked at the picture of the sockets what first popped in my head was that he seemed a tad lacking in six point ones.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I too saw plenty of 6 point sockets....

"Has anyone seen my 10mm?"

It's hiding, as soon as you buy another one it will reappear and think you'll be proud of it for coming back home .

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a 1/4" drive 'super socket' . I've never used it in about two years since it came to me .
I figure it might be good for smaller stuff that has little to no torque , but , I can't say for sure .

And , I have a couple 6 point 10 mm sockets that have the imprints close to wore off .
I try not to bother with the 12 point sockets much anymore . They seem good for rounding bolt heads .
As long as I've been getting greasy hands , I can't say I've come across many 12 sided bolt heads . A few nuts maybe , but ... ;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
10MM what...? :)
Makes no difference, wrench or socket, they are both AWOL when ever the need for them arises.

...It's hiding, as soon as you buy another one it will reappear and think you'll be proud of it for coming back home .
Yes, there is that. It will find it's way under my ribs when I roll under the truck - thats how they like to say hello.

·
Premium Member
10,298 Posts
I too have been looking for my 10mm spanner. It is not in the tool box.
It was hiding in the next shed where I was working on my Suzuki. I had left the tools used to take it apart, sitting on the bench with the bike pieces. I am raising the bars a bit, but now the cables are resisting the extra length required. I have a new longer front brake hose. All moved to Jan 2022, but I did find the 10mm spanners. Should be 2 of them. Should be at least one possibly 2 on the boat. My six sided sockets are limited to 12 13 and 17 I think. Oil filter bolt and engine cover bolts, probably on the boat motor. UK

·
Registered
508 Posts
Work on Japanese cars and you'll find lots of 12MM ATF fasteners, 15 MM too .

! only TWO 10MM wrenches ?! .

·
Registered
508 Posts
Do you use them much ? .

I used to have the Honda factory T- Phillips screw drivers, I miss them greatly but manage just fine these days with hand impact tool and 3" long 3# Phillis bit .

I used to have the clutch compressors and alternator rotor pullers etc....

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
26,798 Posts
My 10mm found it’s way deep into some part of the frame of my truck. If I ever hear something rattling around it might be it. One dang hole I didn’t get a rag stuffed in and it found it.

Reactions: -Nate

·
Registered
508 Posts
Oh, yeah ~ I used to have a 1982 VW Rabbit convertible and it of course had 10MM ATF nuts n the battery cables, I dropped my new MAC TOOLS 100 combination wrench and watched it disappear into an open frame cavity that made a 90 degree bend, no matter how I tried I never saw that wrench again :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just in case anyone wonders exactly what 'ATF' means / stands for :

" Across the Flats (ATF) comes from the original standardized threads: Whitworth Threads and various British Standard Threads that succeeded Whitworth. "

·
Premium Member
10,298 Posts
I always heard it AF for across the flats, while ATF was automatic transmission fluid. But I will accept ATF for spanner sizes. Yankee or British would be easier if the went up in sixteenths, saves the brain from figuring one up from three quarters. mm is easy to work with in that regard, although some spanners get to sit a lot. Like 11, 18 and others.

Some of the English language gets butchered, and there is an area that will say, down road, instead of down the road. So often " the " gets left out.
A movie called The Limey will give a hint to some Cockney expressions. Spoiler. He kills Peter Fonda. UK

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don`t have trouble keeping track of tools (almost 50 years as an aircraft mechanic has taught me to keep track of the tools), but when I am doing woodworking, I can`t keep track of a pencil for the life of me... I have often thought I should just scatter an entire box of pencils all over my shop, then maybe I could find just one....:)

21 - 40 of 65 Posts