Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I do not but have thought about buying something similar... until I watched this -

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
(y)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,731 Posts
Very interesting, thanks Doc

·
Registered
70 CB350 18 Wolf 150 19 San Gabriel 250
61 Posts
I would not trust the left hand multi-socket tool as far as I could throw it. A bundle of 'rods' cannot grab onto a nut or bolt head as well as one shaped to fit. It may mangle its way to remove the bolt, but a set of six-point sockets will likely work a LOT better.
I did not watch but if the socket-looking things on the right are for stubborn rusty nuts and bolts, as far as I know, they will grab on and bite into the nut or bolt head. They are not perfect, but will work in some conditions.
tom

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,480 Posts
I've had one for 30 years and it sits in the bottom of one of my tool boxes. They work okay as the 'Stationary' socket, in other words, the one that doesn't move but holds the bolt head in place while a real tool loosens or tightens the Nut.

It will scratch the heck out of those nice, shiny CHROME nuts and bolts on your Pristine bike!

Sam:)

·
Premium Member
10,271 Posts
One of my oldest tools is a stud remover, bought for $2.80 about 1962. Works great.
I sold a bunch of my other " earliest " tools. They were for Whitworth nuts and bolts. Made by Sidchrome in Ozz. Never again will I mess with early British. UK

·
Registered
670 Posts
Most of those gimmick tools will not work in most cases, I used to sell them. Most came back instantly as do not work. The Gator thing is a little better. The bunch of rods tool can work if the size of bolt you are trying to remove is a multiple of the exact rod size, then it fits nice but in between bolt heads will slip instantly.

I for one do not consider a tool that only works 1 or 2 out of 10 times as worthy of my toolbox.

·
Registered
670 Posts
'I for one do not consider a tool that only works 1 or 2 out of 10 times as worthy of my toolbox.'

I should add the caveat that some specialty stuff can save you literally hours in work only used one time, not talking about that. I tend to make my specialty tools like automatic trans disassembly fixture sets and such. Often using PVC plastic pipe to save the $200-$250 such sets can cost. I made up a Ford cam timing tool set using HomeDepot woodruff key material and a bolt from hardware store for maybe $7 total back when the tools used to go for close to $200 in the early days, now you can get them for $25. Same for the Honda DOHC valve compressing tool needed to change valve shims, mine cost maybe $5 when they went for over $75.

·
Premium Member
10,271 Posts
I think I can do without it...

View attachment 71436 :)
Your obsession with deep sockets might be an indication of some secret desire for more length. While the six sided sockets is a good thing IMO. I recently used some white piping tape made in China. 27 wraps and a loosie goosy fitting, and it still drips. Could we also see the drawer with the screw drivers, and the largest crescent wrench you own.
UK

·
Registered
670 Posts
Anybody ever taken a very late model car engine apart? You know, the type that will need a different rachet setup on every one of the intake manifold bolts and a wrench as well? On a measly 4 cylinder? What a crock, and then you have to beware plastic parts and the angle torque thing TTY bolts must have. One time only use bolts. Give me a break........literally.

Still trying to wrap my head around how the bolts can be at their tightest when you are actually beginning to twist them in two to yield, i.e. they have already begun to break in half.

Who the heck kept that under his hat all this time to suddenly explode it on the world to require buying virtually every bolt on an engine over since it can only be used once????

·
Registered
81 Posts
Your obsession with deep sockets might be an indication of some secret desire for more length. While the six sided sockets is a good thing IMO. I recently used some white piping tape made in China. 27 wraps and a loosie goosy fitting, and it still drips. Could we also see the drawer with the screw drivers, and the largest crescent wrench you own.
UK
Did I do something to offend you?

No obsession with deep sockets, look closely, there are deep, short, and mid-length sockets in my cart, they are what I have accumulated as needed over the past 45 years as an aircraft mechanic.

Drinkware Bottle Drink Red Automotive lighting

Since you asked, here is a pic of the largest adjustable wrench I own, it`s above the combination wrenches (I don`t use adj wrenches often).

Gas Wood Composite material Metal Gun accessory

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
497 Posts
Uncle K. wrote : "Never again will I mess with early British. "

Are you chicken or just smarter than I am ? :unsure: .

I still have two LBC's, maybe I'm just stupid .

1 - 20 of 65 Posts