Trying to plan my summer bike trip and this is what it looks like so far:
  • Brandon, MB to Fernie, BC
  • Fernie, BC down to Deer Lodge, MT
  • Deer Lodge, MT to West Yellowstone, MT
  • West Yellowstone, MT to Cody, WY
  • Cody, WY to Custer SD
  • Custer, SD back to Winnipeg, MB
Approx. 2600 miles/4300 km in 9 days.

My biggest question about this route is the road/snow conditions in Yellowstone the 2nd week of June. Can anyone tell me what the snow/road conditions are like?

Any other input or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you toured prior to this trip? That would narrow down responses quite a bit. Cheers!
Last year was my first big trip. I went out to Banff, AB then up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper finishing by cutting back across the prairies making 4000km/2400 miles in 7 days.

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
You probably already know this...

--Change all fluids: brakes, engine oil, fork oil, rear shaft drive gear oil, engine coolant, etc.
--Check the condition of the chain/belt, if applicable, and change out if any doubts about life left in them.
--Check the electrolyte level on your bike's battery (flooded); check its age, replace it if it is more than 2 years old (flooded), or if more than 6 years old (AGM); see below about a voltmeter/battery monitor...
--Install a voltmeter/battery monitor on your bike prior to the trip to monitor the electrical system's health on the trip: if the reading is below 13 Volts when running above 2,000 RPM, you have a problem -- get it fixed ASAP; if your battery reads below 12.4 Volts (flooded)/12.6 Volts (AGM) in the morning, before you hit the starter, check the charging system, and if that is working, your battery is dying...
--Check your electrical loads to see if you are near the alternator's limit: add up the max, current draw for all accessories (heated gear, especially!), then add in the amperage the bike requires to operate down the road; subtract this from the max. current output of the alternator, and make certain you have a positive number greater than 5 Amps, or your bike will leave you sit somewhere...
--Check your maintenance records for any replacements/adjustments which are anywhere close: filters, valve adjustments, etc.
--Check tire tread life, and condition -- replace if you think you may not have 4,000 miles left in them (give yourself a margin for error).
--Pack up your bike with all of your gear, and take it out on a test drive to check for balance, and handling with it fully loaded, in rain, if possible.
--Check the age and condition of your gear: riding suit/jacket/pants/boots/gloves; check the condition of your rain gear (if applicable); check the age of your helmet.

Riding 2,400 miles in 7 days doesn't leave much time for exploring, and enjoying. We rode 1,935 miles, circling Lake Superior, back in 2009, spending 9 days doing it. We were two-up, on one bike, just us, no one else. We took in a lot of sites, ventured down a number of side roads which looked interesting -- and they were! I'd suggest a slower pace, to take in the sites around you, but that is just me, and my approach to touring. YMMV. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Good times man!
Wish I was doing that route :)

Look around for the old ride reports from people who went to Sturgis. Don't worry about Sturgis itself - forget that town! but take a look at the side-trips that people did to other places around South Dakota. There's a lot of great local towns in the other parts of SD that have a good reputation.

dT

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After doing a little research myself it seems that June is pretty risky time to ride through Yellowstone or the higher areas of Montana in June. May end up taking in more of South Dakota and the Black Hills instead.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Yellowstone can be cold in June. A few years ago we were camping there the last week of June and the temps dropped into the upper 20's with a chance of snow! There was no snow the next morning but there was heavy frost!

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Getting permission from the wife to take a trip like that, is a BIG help!! (lol)

Seriously, planning a trip of that scale means not only being prepared for the trip itself for its own sake, but also making sure that you have tied up any loose ends at home, while you are away (cancelling or rescheduling important meetings, appointments, etc).

Make sure your home is being looked after while you are away (including any pets that need observation or care).

Last thing you need, is to come home to some issues that could crop up that you didn't plan for, or didn't have under surveillance as needed.

Arranging for the stoppage of your mail and newspaper..........

Stuff like that..

-Soupy

·
If you wait, all that happens is you get older
508 Posts
I took a bike trip to Yellowstone in June of 2013 and the weather was great during the day but got chilly when the sun goes down. We rode Beartooth and I recommend the road to you. It is from Cooke City to Red Lodge on HWY 212.

In the higher elevations you will see snow just check to make sure the road is open. I used this site to check the road http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/beartooth/
:71baldboy:
Here is a pic of us on Beartooth June of 2013.

·
If you wait, all that happens is you get older
508 Posts
This years trip we plan on riding the road called "Going to the Sun". You may want to check this one out also. You may be able to ride it from North to South on your way from Fernie to Deer Lodge.

:71baldboy:

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
That really isn't too long of a trip for 7 days. We were out there in 2010 the last week of June, 1st week of July and they had just opened Beartoothe the week before. We actually rode through snow 8 foot high on each side of the road. I recommend that road too. It is so far the most beautiful road we've ridden.

I wish we were making another trip out there this year!! It's such a beautiful area. Have fun!!!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Beartooth is on my bucket list. My parents vacationed there and the pictures they brought home where awe inspiring. The scenery is so beautiful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts