Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm thinking of getting myself a 2 stroke 250cc bike and in my local market I'm limited to bikes from the 70s, 80s and 90s made by Japanese manufacturers. I have an interest in getting something like the Suzuki RMX 250. On paper it looks quite powerful for a 250. However before I go searching for one I would also like to know what other bikes like this exist that was made by the Japanese between the 70s and the 90s. I'm aware of the Kawasaki KDX 250 but they are quite rare here. I would like to know more options from other brands like Yamaha and Honda or even other similar bikes made by Suzuki themselves. Some names to start my search would be really helpful. Thanks :)

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Very tall, very top heavy when fuelled up with 20:1 smokescreen fuel. Best suited to giant people riding in open spaces and extremely skilled riders.
Spanish bikes from the 1900's handle way better and were built more industrial agriculture style, so you might be able to keep them running longer, if they sold them where you live. Anything with an X in the model name is generally Motocross and that is a bike design right at home when it is airborne at high speed or digging a deep trench up a steep mud hill.
Where do you plane to race it or ride it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are a real handful on the trails due to their power and many times abrupt power, why not go with a 4 stroke?
Where do you plane to race it or ride it?
It is actually to upgrade from my '86 Honda VT 250 for road use. No plans on going racing as there aren't any racetracks around where I live.

As I have not used a trail bike I might go for something like a Honda XL125 or a Yamaha DT 125 before going for a 250cc trail.

·
Premium Member
10,054 Posts
If you are going back in time, the best 2 stroke dirt bike, was the CanAm 175 and 250. Honda also made an MT150 which was a good bike, did not sell well, and had issues. Guys beat the **** out of the CanAms and they ran great. The 175 CanAm made as much power as the 250 JA Pan bikes. In the big bore class, Husqvarna made a great 390. Kawasaki had awesome power with the 400. Suzuki 400 too, but the guys that road them were all a lot bigger than me. Depending on your intended use, and your size, will help determine which bike. If you can not pick it up, and chuck it over a log, then it is too heavy. If you do not ride over large logs who cares. Similar concept for climbing steep mountains covered with pine needles. Your use will determine what is appropriate.
Watch what the serious enduro riders are or. Mostly KTM types these days.

One day at a cross country race, Al Paret fired his 390 Husky next to me. They started in gear. I was at the top of my kick starter stroke on my non stock CanAm 250, which fired right away. I passed Al going across a plowed field, before we headed up the side of a mountain. Up top it had been snowing, and I was going as fast as my ability would allow. Al passed me with speed to spare. Experience is valuable. Al is in the CMA hall of fame. UK

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
One day at a cross country race, Al Paret fired his 390 Husky next to me. They started in gear. I was at the top of my kick starter stroke on my non stock CanAm 250, which fired right away. I passed Al going across a plowed field, before we headed up the side of a mountain. Up top it had been snowing, and I was going as fast as my ability would allow. Al passed me with speed to spare. Experience is valuable. Al is in the CMA hall of fame. UK
couldn't find Al Paret, did you spell his name right?

·
Premium Member
10,054 Posts
couldn't find Al Paret, did you spell his name right?
Probably not. Checked CMA, not easy to find. Going through the A to Z list.
I have raced against Jim Allen, Steve Baker, Peter Kellond and probably Dave Wildman on the pavement.
Al Perret for cross country races. I knew Vern Amor, Trevor Deeley and Phil Funnel. All are listed in the CMA Hall of Fame. All were a couple of years older, with a bit more experience. Except Steve Baker who was younger and gifted. UK

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're buying a used motorcycle in Sri Lanka your options are likely limited.
They are very limited and the ones that are here are inflating in value like crazy which is limiting me from going step by step from smaller bikes to bigger and sort of forcing my hand to to go for the big bikes straight while they are available at somewhat affordable prices. Probably in a few months the prices will be sky high😕.

If you are going back in time, the best 2 stroke dirt bike, was the CanAm 175 and 250. Honda also made an MT150 which was a good bike, did not sell well, and had issues. Guys beat the **** out of the CanAms and they ran great. The 175 CanAm made as much power as the 250 JA Pan bikes. UK
We don't have the CanAMs here. The MT150 you are referring to, you sure it is called that? I had a look on the web and couldn't find a bike called the Honda MT 150. By any chance is it the Honda XL 150?

·
Premium Member
10,054 Posts
The Honda XL bikes were 4 stroke. Later versions were the XR models. The 2 stroke bikes that Trials mentions in post 10, were not very good. They are likely MR models. The 150 I referred to must have another model number. Few folks know they existed, and I can not find them listed. The Yamaha 175 and 250, DT models were okay. They bent shifter forks with lead foot Louie on board. The 2 stroke Hondas did not have much power. The 175 and 250 Kawasaki were okay. These were all dual purpose bikes. They had lights and were street legal. There were better bikes for serious off road riding.

Starting with the XR75, Honda made some decent four stroke dirt bikes. I think the XR200 is a fairly current model, and a decent dirt bike. Honda made some strange 250 4 stroke bikes for the Asian market. UK

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MT125 & MT250 are 47 year old Honda 2-stroke street legal dirt bikes that were sold under the model name Elsinore. Almost no chance you will ever see one in Sri Lanka.
Yea I don't think I have seen them here. We do have the MTX 125 however: https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_mtx125r_83.htm

The Yamaha 175 and 250, DT models were okay. They bent shifter forks with lead foot Louie on board. The 2 stroke Hondas did not have much power. The 175 and 250 Kawasaki were okay. These were all dual purpose bikes. They had lights and were street legal. There were better bikes for serious off road riding.
The DT 125, 200 and 230 are available. I have not seen a 175 and 250 here.

From Kawasaki the KDX and KLX 125 and 200 are here, bit on the expensive side however. For the price of a KLX 125 you can get something like a DT 230 Lanza. Not sure why the Kawasaki is expensive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts