Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I am likely going to be moving to Europe this summer for around a year. One of my friends is shipping his bike over there to ride and I am interested in joining him. I have been researching a good bit on bikes and was hoping to get some feedback from you all.

My interests/needs: I am interested in a bike that is comfortable (forward sitting) for several hours, powerful enough to carry myself (200lbs) and luggage, and popular enough to sell back if I do not wish to ship it back. I do not want a speed-rocket style bike, but I prefer the forward leaning position.

My experience: I have been on a Piaggio 150 for around 5-6 months now in a heavy-traffic area, and I will be taking the MSF course soon.

If I am going to go through with it, I want to get a bike in the next few months so that I can log some practice miles and get used to it. I feel I am in a good setting (campus-area) to get some practice on short distance riding before moving to larger trips. I have really been drawn towards the older (00-04) Triumph Sprint models for multiple reasons, but I want to get some opinions from others. Also, if it makes a difference, I have driven in Europe before.

What are your thoughts? Comments? Experiences?

Thanks for reading!

A

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Assuming you're thinking used, there's really only one choice; '85 to '95 BMW airhead of any size. That's exactly what they were made for.

·
10,756 Posts
I have looked into some of the European motorcycle touring companies. They all provide BMW's as rides on the tours. They would appear to be the bike of choice. If you are used to scooters, there are some highway speed capable scooters out there that would also be a good choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Assuming you're thinking used, there's really only one choice; '85 to '95 BMW airhead of any size. That's exactly what they were made for.
I have looked into some of the European motorcycle touring companies. They all provide BMW's as rides on the tours. They would appear to be the bike of choice. If you are used to scooters, there are some highway speed capable scooters out there that would also be a good choice.

CookinBeans, Do you have model numbers for these BMWs? I have tried looking it up, but I have not gotten a straight answer for what an airhead actually is.

Badlands, renting over there is a second option for me. I want to look into bringing my own bike first. My concern with a scooter is that it is not powerful enough to get around with luggage.

Thanks for your responses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts