Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more miles I put on my V45 Magna, the less crazy I am about the buckhorn style handlebars. Has anybody switched theirs out with something a little more wrist friendly? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've seen some drag bars on a few. Don't look that bad, but I prefer the apes.

I did lean mine back an inch or so for comfort.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
I have drag bars on my Shadow, and I love them. If you find they are too low or forward, you can always use different risers to bring them up and back as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I might try out some different ones this january when riding isn't really much of an option here in colorado.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
I find it's best to try them in motion. Different bars will make a bike feel different when your riding.

When i had the big beach bars on my Shadow, it felt almost like steering a Mack truck. With the drag bars, the steering felt much more natural to me.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I used Honda CB750/900 Custom bars on both my Goldwings. They have a really comfortable bend along the lines of the 60s Triumph T120. I used Triumph bars on my short tracker and got the similar bend flat track bars for my SR500. They are just very well positioned for riding. Very natural position relative to pull back, rise, and the actual angle of the part where you grip them.

I'd do them in a heart beat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
By "buckhorn" do you mean the ones that just spin around the fork tubes to adjust, instead of bars ran through a stem? That's what I have on my Sabre. I don't like them either but the ignition and odometer are between the bar ends/fork tubes, so I am saving that project for later.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
The more miles I put on my V45 Magna, the less crazy I am about the buckhorn style handlebars. Has anybody switched theirs out with something a little more wrist friendly? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I really like the feel of the Honda CB900/750 Custom bar bend. K&N used to make them. I put them on my 83 Gold Wings right off. They are a similar bend to the 60s Triumph T120 handlebar, but a shade wider and maybe an inch higher. Very similar to a flat track bar, which is extremely comfortable and allows for good wrist position and leverage.

Do some digging and you'll likely find them. New ones are probably made by Flanders (pg 34), who bought out or took over K&N handlebar operation. Otherwise you might find used ones at some salvage yard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts