Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I signed up for MTC which will be on Aug 01-02. After which I'll start hunting for a bike. :biggrin:

At 5'8 150lbs, with no experience riding a MC in USA and taking insurance into account what do you suggest as a good budget bike. I'm not a beginner but still i would like to get a hands on experience with my ride in the US then go for an upgrade. I love the Yamahas but seems like they're expensive(which I might be wrong)

what do you think of the below? Any other suggestions are welcome :biggrin:

Ninja 250r
Ninja 300r
Honda CBR
Yamaha(?)

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I would just start with a Ninja 250. It is a great starter bike for the money, and you will have no problem selling it in a couple years when you are ready for that dream bike ;)

·
Registered
650 Posts
I love the Yamahas but seems like they're expensive(which I might be wrong)
Probably depends on the bike. The FZ-07 is aggressively priced while the SR400 seems overpriced. I think the Yamaha R3 would be in a similar vein to the other bikes you listed. I've been pretty happy with my TU250x as a beginner. It's not particularly fast, but fun to ride.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I agree that Yamahas do tend to be more expensive, as well as Hondas. Maybe that is why l find myself on Suzukis all the time ;)

I think part of it is how popular bikes are regionally. Hondas and Suzukis are super popular here, but Yamahas are not so much. In fact, l have yet to find another FJ1200 guy in the club that l am joining that lives in Seattle. So, naturally, if a certain make is not popular in your area, there will not be as many for sale, and prices will hold better.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would just start with a Ninja 250. It is a great starter bike for the money, and you will have no problem selling it in a couple years when you are ready for that dream bike ;)
Hawk - what about ninja 300?

So far planning for Ninja 250 only! Is craigslist best place to lookout for a bike?:icon_cool:

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Hawk - what about ninja 300?

So far planning for Ninja 250 only! Is craigslist best place to lookout for a bike?:icon_cool:
Ninja 300's haven't been out very long, and there isn't enough of a difference performance wise for a new rider to notice. You're looking at $3500 for a 300 and you can find 250's all day long for $2000.

I pretty much exclusively use Craigslist for motorcycle shopping. The ads are free so everyone uses it. Start looking and reading a lot of them and you will learn quickly how to spot the scams and the bikes to avoid.

For instance, you will see ads for bikes that are way underpriced and at a funny price point...like a 2012 Ninja 250 for $1372. The English is almost always very broken. I don't know what the scam is, whether they are trying to get you to send money via Paypal and steal your identity or what...but if it sounds too good to be true, it is...

Other rules l adhere to....l don't mess around with title transfers. If you have the title but it's still in the last guy's name, or you just have a bill of sale, or whatever bs story you want to come up with, l'm not buying. Give me a clean title and we can do business.

No salvage titles, period. Maybe the bike is perfect and l would love it forever...too bad. If l decide to sell it l will have a hard time selling that line to someone else.

I never buy anything where the seller is trying really hard to justify a problem, or minimize its effect. For instance, let's say the bike was dropped at 15 mph and has a scrape on the side. This may or may not be a deal breaker for me, but l can make a decision on that myself. I want the seller to say, "Dropped on left side at low speed; see pics". I do not want the seller to say, " The previous owner was riding the bike really slow through a parking lot and barely dropped it on its side, in gravel, but the scrape is so small you can hardly see it, in fact, you wouldn't even know it is there except l wanted to be forthcoming and give full disclosure, but it really isn't much at all, and you really can hardly tell, and it ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT AFFECT PERFORMANCE WHATSOEVER, like l said l just wanted to give full disclosure..." This tells me that the seller has really been thinking hard of a way to explain away this problem and he feels guilty.

Other things...l don't like dirt and grime all over the place. If a bike is all dirty, its owner didn't care enough to give it a bath...what else did he neglect? Little things...does it come with an owner's manual or a repair manual? If so then the seller probably did some maintenance. If it has some aftermarket stuff on it, does it come with the stock stuff? I want to see signs that the guy l am buying it from gave a **** about it. I went and looked at a bike yesterday, and a handful of these red flags went up...the title was in the previous owner's name from last September, the bike was all dirty and dusty, l could go on. Then last night l was searching for more bikes and l discover a different ad that the guy had posted, he was selling 2 or 3 other bikes, cars, a truck, a dune buggy, video games...all this cool stuff that l saw in his garage was all for sale, and he didn't care about any of it.

Also, a lot of these little 250's are ridden by girls, so buy one from a girl if you can. Call me a sexist if you want, but in general l believe that girls take better care of their toys, they make sure to get them in to the shop when they need to, and they usually don't ride as hard.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ninja 300's haven't been out very long, and there isn't enough of a difference performance wise for a new rider to notice. You're looking at $3500 for a 300 and you can find 250's all day long for $2000.

I pretty much exclusively use Craigslist for motorcycle shopping. The ads are free so everyone uses it. Start looking and reading a lot of them and you will learn quickly how to spot the scams and the bikes to avoid.

For instance, you will see ads for bikes that are way underpriced and at a funny price point...like a 2012 Ninja 250 for $1372. The English is almost always very broken. I don't know what the scam is, whether they are trying to get you to send money via Paypal and steal your identity or what...but if it sounds too good to be true, it is...

Other rules l adhere to....l don't mess around with title transfers. If you have the title but it's still in the last guy's name, or you just have a bill of sale, or whatever bs story you want to come up with, l'm not buying. Give me a clean title and we can do business.

No salvage titles, period. Maybe the bike is perfect and l would love it forever...too bad. If l decide to sell it l will have a hard time selling that line to someone else.

I never buy anything where the seller is trying really hard to justify a problem, or minimize its effect. For instance, let's say the bike was dropped at 15 mph and has a scrape on the side. This may or may not be a deal breaker for me, but l can make a decision on that myself. I want the seller to say, "Dropped on left side at low speed; see pics". I do not want the seller to say, " The previous owner was riding the bike really slow through a parking lot and barely dropped it on its side, in gravel, but the scrape is so small you can hardly see it, in fact, you wouldn't even know it is there except l wanted to be forthcoming and give full disclosure, but it really isn't much at all, and you really can hardly tell, and it ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT AFFECT PERFORMANCE WHATSOEVER, like l said l just wanted to give full disclosure..." This tells me that the seller has really been thinking hard of a way to explain away this problem and he feels guilty.

Other things...l don't like dirt and grime all over the place. If a bike is all dirty, its owner didn't care enough to give it a bath...what else did he neglect? Little things...does it come with an owner's manual or a repair manual? If so then the seller probably did some maintenance. If it has some aftermarket stuff on it, does it come with the stock stuff? I want to see signs that the guy l am buying it from gave a **** about it. I went and looked at a bike yesterday, and a handful of these red flags went up...the title was in the previous owner's name from last September, the bike was all dirty and dusty, l could go on. Then last night l was searching for more bikes and l discover a different ad that the guy had posted, he was selling 2 or 3 other bikes, cars, a truck, a dune buggy, video games...all this cool stuff that l saw in his garage was all for sale, and he didn't care about any of it.

Also, a lot of these little 250's are ridden by girls, so buy one from a girl if you can. Call me a sexist if you want, but in general l believe that girls take better care of their toys, they make sure to get them in to the shop when they need to, and they usually don't ride as hard.
Thanks for an amazing explanation Hawk! :71baldboy:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Absolutely. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you would like assistance sifting through ads :)
You know what Hawk you were the first person i was trying to send a PM to but i didn't have enough posts to be able to. :)

When i start lookingfor a bike I will definitely request for your assistance. I have my training on aug 01,02 and I cant wait to get my license. :D

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
You know what Hawk you were the first person i was trying to send a PM to but i didn't have enough posts to be able to. :)

When i start lookingfor a bike I will definitely request for your assistance. I have my training on aug 01,02 and I cant wait to get my license. :D

Thank you!
Absolutely, l will be happy to help. And l am glad you're excited! You should be :)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
The instruction course will give you hands on experience with a few bikes. That can be your starting point. Once you have your certificate in hand, visit your local multi-brand bike dealer. You can sit on everything in the showroom to find a good ergonomic fit for you. I would suggest that any new rider stay under 500 cc. That is big enough to get you in trouble but not so much trouble you can't get out of it. If your state is one that will take your certificate and give you a bike license, you are going to be visiting those bike dealers with a fresh license in hand so take out the 2 or 3 bikes you really like. One of them will really give you a rush and that is the bike model you should choose. You need not buy from the dealer once you know what you like but they are a ready resource to try out bikes.
I have no specific bike for you to choose. each of us likes different things. I ride long distance tour bikes, bikes that have zero appeal for new riders, so my choice and yours will be very different. That's OK. You need to find a bike that really trips your trigger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts